Ch.46 Muffins

Chapter 46

"How was hell?"

Daisy looked up as Luca leaned against the door frame and crossed his arms over his chest. There was a thin coat of perspiration on his forehead and his skin looked a little paler than before.

"You look like you just got back from there," Daisy said.

Luca chuckled. He looked away and stared at the photos of animals on the wall of the nursery. His jaw worked as if he wanted to say something but didn't know how to put it together.

"Are you just going to stand there?" Daisy arched her brow.

"Yeah," Luca nodded.

"Don't you have something better to do?"

"What could be better than this?"

"Literally anything."

"I disagree," Luca smiled. "I could spend my whole life staring at you."

Daisy rolled her eyes. She got off the floor and picked Theo up to place him on her hips. As she walked up to the door, Luca made no effort to move.

"Get out of my way," Daisy said.

"Or what?" Luca smirked.

"Have you always been this problematic or did getting shot just fuck you up even more?"

"It just put things into perspective," Luca said. "I realized how quick and short life really is and I don't want to waste it."

"Aw what a sweet Hallmark card," Daisy mocked. "Now, move!"

When Luca still refused to budge, Daisy placed her hand on his shoulder and shoved him back with all her might. Luca lost his balance and collided with the door frame. His face twisted in pain and the tips of his ear turned bright red. Biting down on his molars, Luca groaned as he regained his footing.

"That hurt," he said.

"Should have stayed in the hospital," Daisy turned towards the door.

"Wait," Luca's hand shot out and grabbed her wrist.

Daisy immediately flinched at how hot his skin was. She looked back at him and began to notice more and more how sick Luca was looking.

"Where are you going?" Luca asked, frowning.

"I don't know," Daisy said in frustration. "Away from you."

"Whe-"

Daisy pulled her hand back and turned away. She didn't wait for him to finish as she exited the bedroom and made her way down to Gia's empty room. As she climbed down the stairs, she sighed a breath of relief when Luca didn't follow her. Daisy paused at the bottom of the stairwell and looked over her shoulder.

"Dada," Theo motioned with his hands.

"No dada," Daisy readjusted him. "Dana?"

Turning towards the kitchen, Daisy set off in search of the woman. She found Dana in the yard and quickly called her back into the house.

"Can you just go check in on Luca," she said. "He looks like he might have a fever."

Dana looked confused for a few before nodding, "Of course. Anything else?"

"Have someone bring the spare crib with the wheels into Gia's room, please," Daisy added. "I'll be staying there."

"Okay," Dana sat down the flower cutter she was holding and walked into the house, leaving Daisy and Theo alone in the yard.