Ch.23 Q-Tip

Chapter 23

Gia, high on pain medication, stared at Daisy and Luca as they stood before her, waiting to hear what she had to say. Carla sat beside her niece, holding her hand and patting it gently.

"I don't get it," Gia said, licking her dried lips. "You two don't even like each other."

Daisy turned to look at Luca just as his eyes lifted towards her. Their eyes held and for a brief second, Daisy felt her heart skid. If only that was true, she thought.

"Is there no other way?" Gia asked. "This is weird."

"If there was another way, we wouldn't be here," Luca sighed, rubbing his forehead.

"Trust me," Daisy snorted. "I'm not so thrilled to be marrying Mr. Moody Gelato over here either."

Luca looked at her, annoyed, but didn't reply to her remark.

"Dad will never buy it," Gia shook her head. "He'll see right through this."

"You leave that up to me," Luca said. "I'll handle it."

Gia stared blankly for several long seconds before her eyes filled with concern and discomfort. She frowned and her brows knit together, "Marriage? Really?"

Luca and Daisy looked at one another again.

"Dee, you don't even believe in marriage!" Gia said. "And Luca, you do! You're always preaching about family values. How is this going to work?"

"It doesn't have to work," Daisy rolled her eyes. "That's the beauty of it."

"But you'll have to convince dad this is a real relationship," Gia reminded them once more. "How are you going to pull that off?"

"Like I said," Luca crossed his arms over his chest, making the button down shirt he wore stretch over his arms. "You leave that up to me. Daisy and I will take care of it."

Gia slowly turned towards her best friend with a deep set frown on her face. Her eyes dimmed as she reached out.

"I'm so sorry," she said, weakly. Her voice shook with emotion as Daisy walked over to the side of the bed and sat down.

"What are you sorry for?" Daisy asked, taking Gia's hand.

"You're getting dragged into all this because of me and my family," Gia's eyes watered. "This should not be your problem."

"Do you remember that we promised each other we'd always stay together?" Daisy said, locking her pinky around Gia's. "We'll grow old and drink wine at brunch at the Plaza Hotel and spend all of our rich husbands' money?"

Gia nodded, laughing through her tears, "Yeah."

"Well, I just secured my rich husband," Daisy flipped her hair over her shoulder.

"But...he's my brother," Gia complained. "That's weird."

"We're going to be sisters!" Daisy tugged on Gia's arm before realizing she shouldn't be pulling her injured friend like that. "Did you ever think that would be possible?"

"Not like this!" Gia's frowned. "Never in my wildest dream did I think it would be you and Luca!"

"I know, it's traumatizing," Daisy teased. "But I've dated darker red flags."

"Wha-" Luca stepped forward but was cut off as Carla spoke up.

"Have you two worked out the logistics?" Carla asked. "When is the wedding?"