Ch. 19 Life Lesson

Chapter 19

"Is he gone?" Luca asked as he watched Carla approached him from down the hall.

"Yeah," Carla nodded, taking in a deep breath.

"I wasn't sure if he would live with Daisy around."

"That girl needs to be tied down," Carla said in frustration. "I can't believe you're letting her stay here. She needs to be at home. Off her feet."

Luca nodded. He completely agreed with what his aunt was saying. But the thought of sending Daisy away didn't sit well with him. It made him nervous, his heart would start to beat too fast as if he couldn't keep up. He was always battling himself when it came to her and it was starting to bug Luca.

"I don't know what we're going to do with these two," Carla shook her head. "They're both so young. I don't know where their lives are headed."

"They'll be fine," Luca said. "Gia.....we just have to get her away from all this."

"And Daisy?" Carla asked. "I mean...I know we're not responsible for her bu-"

"She's not going anywhere," Luca said. "She's staying with us."

Carla didn't reply.s he was slightly stunned by the conviction in Luca's voice. He wouldn't look at her but she could tell his mind was made up.

"For Gia," Luca added. "Gia needs her best friend."

"Of course," Carla nodded. "And I love Dee. I can't imagine her going back to Eric or her mother."

"She's not going back to anyone," Luca ran a hand through his hair before his phone began to vibrate in his pocket. He quickly pulled it out and accepted the call. "Hello?"

"It's me," Aaron said from the other side.

"What is it?" Luca turned and stepped away from Carla.

"Manny and a few others are outside the hospital," Aaron announced. "They're not coming in but I think they're setting up a perimeter or something."

"Fuckin' Christ," Luca said through his teeth.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Nothing," Luca pinched the bridge of his nose. "Call Felix. Tell him I need some of his men to come by. Tell him what's going on."

"You sure?" Aaron hesitated, knowing any association with the Latin gang was never a good idea for the Italian, especially not in New York.

"Yeah," Luca nodded. "I just need them until I figure something out. I don't trust my father's men right now. Tell Felix we'll handle his deliveries for a month."

"Alright," Aaron inhaled deeply.

"Also, Daniel might still be in the building. Have someone keep an eye on him."

"Already on it, boss."

"Thanks, Aaron," Luca ended the call and looked down at his screen. He knew Carla was waiting for him to turn and deliver the news. But he didn't want to. If he could handle it, he didn't want to stress anyone out.

"What's going on?" Carla asked.

"Nothing," Luca lied, slowly turning back to face her. "Are you still in touch with the hospital you worked with in Ohio?"

"Yes, why?" Carla arched her brow.

"Do you think Gia is stable enough for us to transfer her there?"

"Luca..." Carla's eyes grew serious. "What's going on?"

"Dad's men are starting to surround the hospital," Luca said, not knowing how he could get them all out of the hospital without being honest about the danger they were in.