Ch. 27 Number two and three

Chapter 27

The halls of the hospital were dimly lit. The green tiles should have reminded Luca of his mother's eyes but the dullness in them didn't compare to her vibrant ones. With a trembling hand sliding along the wall, Luca moved towards the sound of a woman screaming.

"Get her out!" Gianna screamed. "Get her out!"

Luca's fingers were numb and his feet stumbled. He could feel the tears blurring his vision as he grew closer to the room at the end of the hall.

"Ahhhhhh!"

Luca held his breath as he peeked into the room. He felt his insides shake as he spotted his mother on the bed with her legs covered by a bloody blanket and sweat dripping from her face. Gianna's face was bright red as she threw her head back and screamed in pain.

"Please, please, please," she begged. "Get her out!"

"Mom," Luca's voice shook.

"Luca?" Gianna gasped. "Luca!"

"Mom!" Running into the room, Luca dodged around the nurses and doctors to get to his mother's side. His feet slipped on the blood on the floor, sending him crashing down.

"Luca!" Someone yelled.

Pushing himself, Luca jumped to his feet and ran to the bedside. He grabbed his mother's shoulders only to realize he was holding Daisy.

"I can't," Daisy cried, shaking her head as she looked up at Luca. "I can't do this."

"The baby is almost here," the doctor said. "Just a few more pushes."

"No," Daisy gripped Luca's hand and began to cry harder. She trembled all over as she began to fall back against the bed. "I can't....I can't...."

"Daisy," Luca pushed back all the hair on her face and held her head to his chest.

His heart was lodged into his throat as he stared at the nurses and doctors all looking at one another. Their eyes avoided him as he tried to read their gaze.

"What is it?" Luca asked. "What's wrong?"

"We can't save them both," one of the doctors said.

"No, no, no," Daisy shook her head, sobbing.

"We're going to save the baby," the nurse said.

"No, wait!" Luca tried to stop them but Daisy began to scream.

Her nails clawed at his arms, trying to hold him closer as Luca's ears began to ring. He felt hollow and helpless as Daisy begged and cried for him to make the pain go away.

"I can't do this," She weeped, her face flushed. Her tears mixed with her sweat, making all the hair stick to her forehead. "I can't do this."

"I'm here," Luca said. "You'll be fine."

"No!"

"Okay, she's almost out," the doctor said.

Luca looked down at the doctor as Daisy fell back against the bed and screamed.

"She's here!"

As the baby began to cry, Daisy fell silent. Luca's blood ran cold as he realized her hand had fallen from his. He slowly turned to find her laying on the bed with her eyes staring at nothing.

"No," Luca felt his chest tighten and his throat close up. He grabbed Daisy's shoulders and began to shake her. "No, no! Come on! Wake up!"

"Luca," Daisy's voice called to him.