Ch. 35 Take me to church

Chapter 35

When Luca and Daisy returned home early the next morning, they did not expect to run into Carla as Luca carried Daisy into the house on his back. They froze immediately and Daisy slid off to adjust her dress.

"Good morning?" Carla arched her brow. "You two were out all night?"

"We lost track of time," Daisy's eyes flickered towards Luca.

"We have church today," Carla said, turning on her heel. "And Theo is in Gia's room."

"I'll go get him," Daisy turned towards Gia's room and hurried off.

"Luca?" Carla called over her shoulder. "Come talk to me for a minute."

Knowing where the conversation would go, Luca took in a deep breath and followed his aunt to the back yard. The early morning sunlight was still shy as the clouds made space and the birds began to rise. It was a beautiful morning. Walking up and making love to Daisy at sunrise only added to the good mood Luca was in.

"What's going on?" Luca asked, coming to stand beside Carla.

"I'm wondering the same thing," Carla said. "What's going on between you and Daisy?"

"What you wanted," Luca shrugged. "You wanted me to try, right?"

"What are you trying, Luca?" Carla asked.

"I'm trying to be happy with her," Luca said. "I'm trying to make this marriage real and raise Theo together."

Carla's eyes narrowed, "You're serious about her, right?"

"Yes."

"Luca, please," Carla's eyes softened. "Don't play with her heart."

"You think I would do that?"

"No," Carla shook her head. "I just....I'm happy for you both but I'm worried. I hope you thought this through."

"I have," Luca said. "I want her. I've wanted her for a very long time."

"Does she feel the same way about you?"

Luca nodded, "She does."

Carla slowly smiled. Her eyes began to light up as she raised her hand and touched the edge of Luca's face.

"I'm so happy for you," she said. "You deserve this."

"Thank you," Luca said. "Just don't tell Gia yet....she's dealing with her own stuff. I don't want her to start worrying about Dee."

"It's not my story to share," Carla said.

"Thanks."

"You might want to shower before church," Carla sipped her coffee. "Your hair is covered in sand. What did you do? Roll around in it?"

Luca chuckled as he shook out his hair and watched the sand fall. Turning on his heels, he made his way up to his bedroom and yanked off his t-shirt and jeans before removing his socks and hopping into the shower. The warm water burned his skin in all the places Daisy's nails had left their mark on him. Luca ran his hands over them, touching each spot and knowing exactly when and how he got her to that point. Every time he closed his eyes, Luca could picture Daisy laying beneath him. He leaned his hands against the wall and let his head hang as the water ran off his back and fell like a waterfall from his hair.

"Stop leaving your shit everywhere!"

Luca began to immediately chuckle as Daisy's voice scolded him from the bedroom. He turned to face the door as she walked into the bathroom and threw his t-shirt at him.