Ch.21 Yours

Chapter 21

Two years ago

Luca stood in the doorway of Daisy's room leaned up against the frame as his eyes rested on her sleeping face. He held his breath and waited for her to exhale to make sure each beat of his heart was the same as her. Their chest rose and fell at the same time, synchronizing their breathing.

The empty spot beside Daisy on the bed had never looked better. Luca could picture himself laying his head down on the pillow beside her curled hand and gazing at her until she blushed in her sleep. The tug inside his chest was stronger than any tide he had ever experienced. Luca wished he could share her dreams. All of his were frightening.

As the early morning light slowly drove out the darkness, Luca felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He pulled it out and immediately accepted the call.

"Good morning," he said quietly as he turned away and closed Daisy's door.

"You're up," Don, Luca's attorney, sounded surprised.

"Sleep is a luxury," Luca said, walking towards the office in the hotel suite.

"Well, you're about to lose some more," Don muttered.

"Why?" Luca asked, his chest tightening and his head instantly kicking into tension mode.

"I received your father's newly revised will," Don sighed. "Last night actually."

"Did you sleep?" Luca asked.

"No," Don laughed. "Sleep is a luxury, Luca."

"That's all I need to know," Luca said. "How bad is it? What's the damage?"

"It's...." Don hesitated as if looking for a better way to deliver the blow. "It's bad."

"Cutting of Gia? Demanding my mother's jewelry back from her?"

"Worse," Don said.

Luca's hand tightened around his phone, "What is it?"

"You and Gia no longer have any access to your offshore bank accounts," Don said. "Effective immediately."

"What?" Luca shook his head, the words sounding strange past the ringing in his ear.

"You can keep the accounts you have in America, but all of your other accounts have been seized," Don explained. "All of your rights have been revoked from the family business and you have been ordered by the courts in Italy to hand over all dock business to your father."

"You can't be serious," Luca said, his jaw clenching.

"No, I wish," Don sighed once more. "I've been up all night reading it."

"Can we fight this in court?"

"Only if you and Gia were unintentionally omitted from your father's will," Don said. "But from the angry words of his bulldog lawyers, this was very personal and very intentional."

"Have you spoken to Roger? How much does Gia have in her account?"

"Not enough to be airlifted out of New York City," Don said. "The last transaction in her account was to pay for her upcoming school year and extra allowance. If she takes the year off....I say she'll be good for a few months."

"What about my Cuban accounts?"

"That's still good," Don said. "Together you will be fine for the next few years. It won't be a life of luxury but it'll be a comfortable life."

"No," Luca shook his head. "That's not what he's doing."

"What do you mean?"

"Have Roger run the numbers for the security," Luca said. "How long can we keep the men?"