Ch.56 Safe

Chapter 56

Daisy sat as still as she could beside Luca. Her hand was in his, but his eyes were not. Luca's green gaze swept over all the somber faces gathered by the open grave. Daniel and Gia stood side by side under the large fig tree as the priest delivered the last words and Mario's casket was lowered into the ground.

Holding her breath and pushing down the pain, Daisy watched Daniel step forward and take a handful of soil. Gia did the same and together they dropped it over Mario's casket. Daniel's face twisted in pain as they began to lower his mother's casket. As the emotional scene carried on, Luca's phone vibrated silently in his pocket. Daisy turned her head and looked towards him as he pulled it out and quickly checked the screen.

"Is everything okay?" Daisy whispered.

Luca nodded.

"Any news?"

Luca shook his head.

"Dada!" Theo squealed in the silence. The lady beside Daisy looked over and smiled down at the baby.

"I want you to go home as soon as this ends," Luca whispered, leaning closer to his wife's ear. Daisy agreed right away. "I'm going to wait for Gia. She's going to be a mess after this."

"What do you mean?" Daisy asked, a frown forming on her lips.

"Daniel is giving her divorce papers," Luca said under his breath.

Daisy's heart skidded. Her eyes snapped towards her best friend who stood beside her husband holding his hand.

"How long have you known about this?" Daisy asked Luca.

"For a few days."

"And you didn't tell her?" Daisy asked. "Did you try to talk him out of it?"

"Why would I do that?" Luca asked. "They're both grown up. They can decide what they want to do. And Gia wanted a divorce."

"That was before everything!" Daisy hissed. "Luca, how could you let this happen?"

"You told me not to meddle in their relationship," Luca said.

"Of all the times you could have listened to me," Daisy shook her head.

"Can we not talk about this right now?" Luca asked. "We have bigger things to worry about."

"Do you think....." Daisy felt a shiver crawl up her back. Her eyes began to move over the crowd as her skin prickled. "Do you think they're here?"

"If they are, they're about to be buried," Luca said.

Daisy moved back in her seat and stuck close to Luca. Her arms were tightly wrapped around Theo as the rest of the service slowly proceeded. Luca was restless beside her and she didn't blame him. Daisy rubbed the back of her neck several times as the air began to grow chilly and the sun slowly hid behind the clouds. As soon as the service finished, Daisy and Luca jumped to their feet.

"Don't worry about Gia," Luca said, his hand on Daisy's back as he guided her away from the crowd and towards David and Aaron. "I'll tell her you'll see her at home."

Daisy wished she had worn anything else beside her heels. She buried Theo's face in the crook of her shoulder and hurried along as fast as she could towards the dirt parking lot of the church.

"Go home, stay inside, and don't pick up any calls. Got it?" Luca asked.

Daisy nodded, "Got it."

"I'll see you in a few minutes," Luca pulled her closer and kissed the top of her head.