13 [enlighten]

Keefe watched her walk away.

"Are you seriously going to let her go?" He asked incredulously and looked at Ruy and Hazyll—the only people who could possibly talk some sense into her. "You know she has to see the memories."

Hazyll sighed, "And she will, Keefe, on her own time. When she is ready and not feeling so lost—remember how we were when we got our memories back?"

"How can I forget?" He murmured spitefully.

When he woke up from seeing all the memories, there was some tingling feeling of enlightenment somewhere in his brain. But all he could feel was confusion.

"What just happened?" His mother asked in a daze, apparently also done with whatever took control of his mind.

"I don't—"

"That was the purpose of Project Lodestar..." his mother breathed, "after all this time, I finally remember why I created Project Lodestar...why I was looking for Elysian and Sophie Foster. It's all coming back to me now."

His mother's ice blue eyes stared into his eyes intensely, "Please, Keefe, you need to come with me—and I will explain everything! Just please, come with me."

Keefe just stared at her. He wouldn't move until he got his answers.

"What was that, because I've never seen that girl in my life."

"Everything will make sense, I swear, you just need to come with me."

"Explain now!" He commanded.

"The counteracted still works Keefe."

"Then how did I command you to remember?"

"Because of fate." She gave him a benevolent smile, "And you know I was never one to believe in fate."

And she wasn't.

So he went with her. He took her outstretched hand.

"This better be worth it."

"It will be."

With a shine of a glittering gold leaping crystal he, his mother, and the silent British boy were transported to a Neverseen base.

"Ah," cooed a wicked voice, "I see you've found the boy."

Fintan.

"Initiate you oh so great plan now, Gisela."

Vespera.

"Go on, son."

His mother.

"Remember."

The next moment was tense.

Everyone's eyes bored into him as the dull ache began again.

"What did he do, Gisela?" Someone yelled, before collapsing and beginning to writhe on the ground.

The last thing he saw was his mother looking at Fintan in an odd way before closing her eyes and submitting to the memories.

He was in Foxfire again.

"Hey, Lord Hunkyhair!" The younger him didn't even have to turn to see Nyxen behind him, a book in her small arms.

It was odd though, he knew she was there before even seeing her. He could feel her emotions without touching her somehow.

"How is it that I can feel your emotions?" It was heightened to a point where he was almost feeling the jitteriness she was feeling as well.