16 [bracelet]

The blonde girl was stunned, silent and motionless. And Dex took that as his cue to advance, reaching to grab her hand, but she was too fast.

Already running out of her room and down the stairs, but then she felt her world fall out from under her as her foot caught on something—nothing really. Dex used telekinesis to hold her in place.

But her momentum was strong enough that she went launching forward.

She hit the ground with a thud and tried to get away when a warm hand touched her shoulder.

"Soph, please don't fight this," Edaline said, remorse for her betrayal clear in her eyes, "you don't know what the Council will do if you don't cooperate."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better!" She cried out, "Why should I be stripped of my abilities when they want to harm a young girl—girl because I am not a freaking bloody adult!"

"They are our Councillors." As if that gives them any right.

"They are corrupt and unjust."

Soon enough Grady came out of nowhere and pinned her to his chest.

Edaline was just a distraction—how could she be so stupid.

The girl wrangled with her adoptive father, trying to get free.

"Dex! Hurry up!"

"Stop!"

She wriggled even harder when Dex got closer, but when he touched her she lost all will to fight.

Dizziness hit her like a wave, the breath in her chest felt less and less.

She didn't know when, but she started convulsing. She felt the cold cuff on her arm sucking the life out of her, but as she saw from Keefe's memories—this was fate.

She—Nyxen—was standing in Slurps and Burps.

School had just started and she needed to stock up on cerulean contacts.

She was hoping to avoid as many people as possible, but it didn't help that she was already the talk of the school.

A legacy—the daughter of Fintan Pyren. A looker—the beauty she got from her wretched mother. A laugher—friends with Ruy Ignis and Alvar Vacker, always participating in their pranks. A lover—the girl who got Keefe Sencen to give her another look.

Honestly, she could list so many more things she'd been called in the first few weeks of Foxfire, but they were all ridiculous.

It totally went against her great plan of hiding in the shadows and not drawing any attention to herself.

Plucking out some eyelashes, she turned around the isle to get to the contact section when she bumped into someone. An apology was on the tip of her tongue when she got a better look at the person, the lady.

Nyxen's eyes widened.

In front of her was the lady she'd been searching for. The one who almost killed sweet Linh, and almost got her exiled.

She took in the lady's appearance, her eyes widening when she looked dead into the woman's eyes and—

The next thing Nyxen knew was that she was falling.

The woman was gone and she was lying on the ground with the start of a headache forming.

She was about to stand up and resume what she was doing when a pair of legs crashed into her back. It was Kesler's son. And he was losing his balance, falling on top of her with a thud.