29 [wait]

Ruy watched his life flash before his eyes.

"Too late."

Words he whispered himself as he saw from a distance, his estranged father grasping onto Nyxen's arm. The way she looked at him, shocked, her honey eyes finding him across the dance floor right before her eyes rolled back and she fell to the ground, spazzing and screaming.

It would be a sight to remember. The way her golden skin went sallow, her luscious hair losing the glimmer of sparkle, turning dull in the lit room. How she fell onto her hands and knees, looking so...breakable. Already broken.

"Limbium!"

But it wasn't.

It was Nyxen's keen ability—her ability passed down from her mother's side, her witch side, an ability heightened by the fact her mother tried to erase her past, making all those memories wanting to return with a burning fury. It came and went, the memories she got when she touched someone. Sometimes the visions didn't come at all, but others it came far too hard and far too fast.

This feeling, similar to the ones brought on by the effects of limbium—actually brought on by limbium as a loophole. There was a reason the Noganese and the limbium in it had the reaction on Nyxen, why she got a new ability each time Forkle used the limbium injection on her cruelly. It awoke something in her brain that wasn't ready to be accepted.

And whatever his father had in his touch, Nyxen definitely was not ready to accept.

"Neverseen!" Another pointed out. Not suspecting the honorable Lord Ignis to have 'poisoned' her, all their accusations going towards Alvar who's elixir transformation was wearing off.

There was a fear in his friend's eyes, as he watched Nyxen go lax, as he watched the crowd get closer and closer to him.

He was cornered, and they were all doomed.

"Oh my gods," hissed Fitz, finally catching onto who was right in front of him. "It's Alvar.

No fucking shit, you dumbass.

"He came with them!" Someone else hissed, playing along with Fitz's stupidity, pointing to Hazyll, Ezra, and Raynne—but not at him because he was the son of Nikos Ignis.

And like they'd planned if this went sideways because the Neverseen was always multiple steps ahead of the Black Swan and everyone. Raynne and Ezra slowly backed away from Hazyll, pushing her into her own malevolent circle of hatred like Alvar.

Seeing that all the attention went to his unfortunate friends in the middle, it left Nyxen unattended for—leaving her alone with his father who was watching her with curious eyes.

Making his way past his screwed friends, eyeing them, telling them that he would come back after he dealt with his father.

Coming face to face with his horrible excuse of a father after all these years was not something that either of them took lightly. Sneering up at him, Nikos—never father—was shorter than Ruy's height at six-two, it was funny to see the man who always looked down on him finally look up.

"I'd heard you resurfaced," the heinous man crooned, "and close friends with the famous Moonlark too."

He gave Nyxen a cocky once over that made Ruy want to gut his father.

"Maybe you weren't a disappointment after all," he mused with a sarcastic chuckle.

"Oh gee, really?" Ruy responded with a sardonic smirk that erased the amusement in his fathers.

Growling, he watched his father's lip curl, "No."

Mocking a pout in a way that would make Keefe give him a big thumbs up, he frowned. "Awe, you wound me, father."