Chapter 7

The next morning I woke up still holding Cadmael's hand. The next thing I saw was that Cadmael wide awake and staring at me with a smile. I jumped and immediately fled far away:

"Have you been awake for long?

-For an hour.

-You should have woken me. I'm sorry for keeping you here."

Why was I apologizing? Cadmael was the one holding my hand while I slept.

"I don't mind. You are really cute when you sleep."

I completely changed colors hearing this and got up:

"What are you talking about?"

Cadmael laughed while still staring at my back.

"This is nice. I just have to be a little more patient."

I turned around too far to hear clearly what Cadmael had said:

"What did you say?

-Nothing."

Cadmael smiled softly before following me to breakfast. As promised, I started spending all of my time with Cadmael who stuck to me like glue. I thought that it would be very awkward but despite following me everywhere, Cadmael didn't say a word and let me do whatever I wanted. In the library, Cadmael sat down in a corner and read in silence while I was doing the same. This felt nice and I thought that I made a good choice telling him to stay by my side.

That way bullies left Cadmael alone and I could teach him everything he wanted slowly. After school we started going sparring before heading home. Cadmael was a quick learner but for some reason, he still managed to forget everything the next day. I was quite troubled and didn't know what to do. I proposed to come training every morning as well as night and Cadmael seemed very happy with this change of plan. The next morning, I was observing Cadmael's training when I suddenly heard someone crying behind me. I turned around and far away spotted two figures walking rapidly.

One of them was taller than the other and was leading without looking back at the smaller man who struggled to keep up:

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to disturb you. I just wanted to walk you to your classroom.

-Stop following me! People seeing us together would be the last thing I want.

-But... A lot of people saw you with Derek.

-Derek comes from a rich family. You better know your place if you don't want to be thrown away.

-I'm sorry... I just want to spend time with you. I love you so much...

-Don't say that in public! Go away. I'll text you when I need you."

And the taller man left leaving the smaller one crying behind. I felt really bad but didn't know what to do. This looked like a couples fight but one of them explicitly said that he didn't want others to see them. Would I make things worse if I talked to the one crying? Was he maybe embarrassed by what just happened? I was still debating what to do when a shadow suddenly made me come back to reality. Cadmael was standing there completely towering over me showing a strange expression which made me immediately back away.

"What are you looking at?"

I looked back but the young man had already disappeared.

"There was a man crying. I didn't know what to do."

Cadmael followed my gaze and didn't see anyone either.

"Look at me. I think I made some progress.

-Really? Show me."

Cadmael finally smiled and went back to train. I continued watching him but unfortunately I didn't see any progress. I signed before coming up to Cadmael.

"I'll show you again."

I placed my hands on Cadmael's and guided them softly to help Cadmael feel the movement.

"Like this. Do you get it?

-I don't think so... Could you show me again?"

I signed.

"I don't think this technique is working. I don't see you making any progress. Maybe we should find another method. Or maybe I am not fit to be your teacher."

Cadmael suddenly panicked:

"No! You are perfect, please show me just one last time."

I did as I was told and Cadmale finally managed to do the movement. Not only doing it, he was doing it perfectly. I jumped a few times in excitement.

"There you go! I knew you could do it! You are amazing."

Cadmael suddenly averted his eyes and I could see his cheeks turning red. Did he like being praised? I laughed and patted Cadmael's head.

"You are just like a child."

Cadmael's eyes got very round before smiling broadly.

"Do you plan on registering for the sword tournament during the sports festival?"

I asked despite already knowing the answer. In the original book, Cadmael was really looking forward to this tournament and couldn't wait to win it. He sparred day and night to prepare for it and humiliated Eschyle in the process. Of course Diana saw Cadmael's victory and felt her heart flutter. When they ran into each other that day, Cadmael was being bullied by Eschyle and Diana defended him which upset her fiance even more. Diana saw Cadmael be punched multiple times before they let him alone. This was horribly humiliating in front of the one he loved and he almost lost his mind. Fortunately Diana called a teacher and Eschyle didn't get scolded but the bullying took a rain check. Cadmael gave Diana the laurel wreath saying that it would look good on her and they had a romantic moment looking in each other's eyes for a long time.

My sister hated this scene because the laurel was the symbol of Apollon who had wanted to violate Daphné and was only unable to do it because she had turned into a laurel tree. This laurel then became Apollo's symbol and later on the symbol of victory. My sister always said that this was disgusting and I agreed with her. Maybe I should say a few words to Cadmael or Diana about it but I was scared to change the plot.

"Is my master this confident in my abilities?

-Of course I am. You learn quickly. You really are good with the sword. You just need a little training and I'm sure that you'll be way better than anyone else."

Cadmael thought about it for a moment but couldn't give his answer because of the bell.