Chapter 71- Diana's POV

When Diana first heard about Eschyle's wedding, it was from her father. He had run into her room and as soon as he was close enough he slapped her with all his strength. Diana got so surprised that she crumbled on the ground and raised her hand at her cheek as if trying to check if it was still there.

"Why do you have to torture your family like this?"

Diana had no idea why her father was so angry this time but she knew that it was something serious because her mom ran after he father with tears in her eyes:

"Honey! Please calm down!"

But her father didn't calm down and the next person he slapped was Diana's mother. The latter crumbled next to her daughter and Diana immediately surrounded her of her arms:

"Mom!"

The father snarled when he saw the scene:

"Like mother, like daughter. I should have listened to my father and never should have married someone like you. I should have known that nothing good come out from it."

Seeing her mother bleeding, tears swelled in Diana's eyes. What did she do this time? She had done nothing. She had been the same silent and perfect daughter as always. Why was her mother being beaten now? Could she never do anything right even when she was lying low? Was she such a bad person?

"Don't you dare say such things about my mother!

-A girl can't tell a man what to say! Shut your mouth before I beat you to death."

Beat her to death? Did her own father want her dead? Diana couldn't understand such words. What did she do so bad to deserve such treatment?

"Please honey, calm down. Diana didn't do anything wrong.

-She should have never been born! If I had known that this would happen I would have killed you before you could give birth!

-But what did I do, father? What did I do?

-You dare ask what you did? The whole Empire is talking about it. Your ex fiancé is getting married to the Emperor! Everyone is talking about how horrible a woman you could be for the Duke's son to grow disgusted of women and marry a man.

-That's not how it works!

-Shut up!"

Another slap.

"I don't care how it works! You destroyed our reputation! Everyone is laughing at us now!

-I didn't do anything wrong! They love each other! Cadmael has been all over Eschyle since the beginning! And Eschyle loves him too!

-Two men can't be in love! What are you talking about?

-They do! I can't do anything about it and I won't force Eschyle to marry me just because you want it!

-Ungrateful wench! Is this how you talk to your father after all the years I spent raising you?

-I am speaking the truth!"

A third slap.

"Diana! Please! She doesn't know what she is talking about. Let her go."

Despite her mother's pleading, Diana didn't give up:

"I know perfectly well what I am saying. I didn't do anything wrong. I always did everything you asked of me but I can't marry Eschyle and him loving a man has nothing to do with me.

-Nothing to do with you? You should have gotten pregnant the second you learned about his disease!

-It isn't a disease!