Chapter 72

"Did you do it on purpose?

-Yes.

-Why?

-Why would you want them to be at our wedding? Do you love your brothers?

-No but they are still my brothers.

-You said I was your only family and your brothers are suspicious. They only want to talk to you now that you are my fiancé. They are only after power.

-I don't care, it's okay. The whole world is invited to the wedding. I don't care if they come too.

-But they ignored and abused you your whole childhood.

-They didn't really abuse me. They just acted like older brothers.

-What about the time when they played hide and seek with you and left you alone in the woods?"

I frowned, not remembering what he was talking about.

"When did that happen?"

Cadmael smiled sadly before caressing my head:

"You don't remember but I do.

-But I never stayed in the forest for a whole night.

-Because I allerted the maids. Your brothers didn't care about what would happen to you. And neither did your father."

I shook my head:

"Maybe it was a misunderstanding.

-No. Everyone knew that they bullied you.

-It's okay. We were young. I really don't care anymore.

-But I do... Why don't you care about the people who hurt you?"

Cadmael looked so sad that it was my turn to caress his face:

"Don't frown like that. I really don't care how they treated me. The only family I need is you. Could you send them their invites?"

Cadmael thought about it for a long time.

"You will be there to protect me, don't worry. And if anything happens I'll stop talking to them and leave, I promise.

-Promise me that you won't let anyone hurt you ever again.

-Okay, I promise.

-Don't pretend that it's okay and that you don't care.

-Okay. Will you send them an invite?"

Cadmael sighed before nodding.

"Thank you.

-Now let's get back to the Marvin situation.

-Oh, I forgot that I had a class. I have to go.

-Eschyle...

-Bye!"

I quickly ran away, not giving Cadmael time to catch me. I thought that avoiding him would make him forget about the whole Marvin conversation but that was underestimating him. As soon as my class ended, Cadmael was in front of the door, waiting for me. The first student to open the door immediately froze and stepped back, not knowing if he needed to bow or run away. The others immediately looked at me and one of them even said:

"Your husband is here."

I kind of liked the sound of that but didn't pay it any attention because I was curious about what Cadmael wanted. Usually it was me going to him, not the other way around.

"Cadmael? Is there something wrong?

-Do you have time now?

-Of course."