Chapter 39

The doors opened and a servant announced Cadmael and I loudly. Some trompettes took up from there and everyone started staring at us. My heart froze and I forgot to walk for a second. Cadmael was really big and strong and having him hold my hand forced me to continue without stopping. I was really grateful for this and did my best to get it together.

I followed Cadmael to the throne next to which Alphonse was standing straight as a line. I waved at him and he smiled back. We stopped walking and I was puzzled when Cadmael stared at me without sitting down. I frowned:

"What is it?

-Aren't you tired? Sit down for a bit."

I looked around me but saw nothing except for the throne.

"Here?

-Yes."

He said this really lightly as if it wasn't the throne of the emperor. Seeing us standing and not knowing what we were talking about, more and more people started whispering and I felt really uncomfortable. Cadmael noticed and motioned to the musicians to resume playing. People continued looking at us but some of them had to stop to dance.

"Sit down.

-I can't, that's your throne.

-Everything that is mine is also yours."

I shook my head.

"I really can't. This is the symbol of the emperor. The Sun of the empire. I really can't.

-I am the emperor. I decide what you can and cannot do."

I continued shaking my head and Cadmael signed. He called a servant and soon after they brang a huge chair that they put next to the throne. It was almost identical to the symbol of the empire and I felt really uncomfortable sitting on it but had no other objection ready. Cadmael was still staring at me and I looked away:

"Don't you want someone else to sit here?"

Like Diana. Speaking of which. Where was she? I looked around the crowd and quickly noticed some familiar faces. Diana was wearing a gorgeous white dress that suited her perfectly. Next to her Gilbert was dressed all in gold and I immediately guessed who the dress came from. In fact, Andrew wasn't far, his gaze not leaving Gilbert for a second.

I waved at them before smiling at Cadmael:

"Our friends are here."

Cadmael didn't even look seeming not to care. Was he trying to play it cool in front of Diana? He shouldn't push her away too much, she would be hurt.

"Can I go say hi to them?"

I was going to help Cadmael fix his mistake.

"You can do anything you want."

Therefore I walked down into the crowd and hurriedly joined my friends. What I didn't see was how Cadmael peered at all the people who were staring at me. His hand reached for the sword without knowing and Alphonse quickly tried to reason him:

"You can't kill people just because they looked somewhere."

Cadmael didn't seem so sure about that.

"Are you going to kill them in front of Eschyle?"

This finally stopped Cadmael who tried his best to choke his anger. Alphonse wasn't sure to be relieved or even more frightened by Eschyle being the only thing stopping Cadmael. Alphonse already saw what happened to those who hurt Eschyle and he got chills just thinking about it.

Cadmael stared at Eschyle just like everyone else. He asked himself how Eschyle could be this gorgeous and he oscillated between wanting to hide him from everyone or to place him on a pedestal in order for everyone to see him without ever having him. One thing was sure: Eschyle was shining way brighter than anyone else present and Cadmael couldn't get enough of it.