Chapter 8

When they got there, Bella didn't dare (or didn't want to

When they got there, Bella didn't dare (or didn't want to.) go inside. Instead, she plopped down in a chair outside.

Ms. Conners sat down beside her, and said softly, "Bella, I know how hard this can be. But not everything is going to be fair all the time. Sometimes, you just have to deal with whatever things come your way. Please try to be positive."

Bella stared at her in utter shock.

"Ms. Conners, you have no idea what you're saying! How can I act like everything's okay when my sisters were taken from me right before my very eyes?! I can't pretend like everything is okay anymore! I wish I never had to come here!"

——

It had been minutes later, and now Bella was entering the room, prepared to talk to h the two boys.

She walked over right over to them, but before she could say anything, Ms. Conners said, "Bella, this is Enton—" she pointed to the first boy — "And this is Charten." She indicated the second boy.

Bella nodded.

"But here's the catch. Enton is deaf, and Charten is blind." Ms. Conners added.

Now Bella was finally grateful that her parents had signed her up for sign language classes.

Before she got anywhere though, Ms. Conners asked her, "Do you even know how to sign? I can put you in classes if you want."

"You don't have to." Bella replied.

Then, turning her attention to Enton, she signed expertly, "Hi, Enton. Ms. Conners told me your name. My name is Bella. This is my first day here."