𝗌𝗂𝗑𝗍𝗒 𝖾𝗂𝗀𝗁𝗍

∙・•・•∙・•❀•・∙•・•・∙

∙・•・•∙・•❀•・∙•・•・∙

𝐄𝐔𝐍𝐇𝐀

The iron gate of the small cemetery on the edge of the village squeaked when I pushed it open, falling close behind me with a metallic clank. Silence draped itself over me like a blanket, lying heavily over the place like only the atmosphere of death could, swallowing every sound except the one of my footsteps on the soil path still littered with the dead leaves autumn had torn from the trees. Luckily, there wasn't anyone else mourning in the graveyard, allowing me some privacy as I quietly walked past the few rows of tombstones toward the area where the more recent decedents were buried. My mother's grave was the newest one, and I reached it quickly, the light letters engraved into the dark, polished tombstone greeting me.

"MOON SUNHEE," was written above her birth date and the day of her passing.

Crouching down, I added the flowers I had brought with me to the ones planted in front of the gravestone. The gorgeous purple tiger lilies I had bought in the neighboring town, Nampyeong, earlier that day because they always had been her favorites contrasted beautifully with the greenery.

It took me a while to calm my mind and collect my thoughts as I was nervous and constantly struggling with worries because of all the significant changes happening in my life. But after a couple of minutes of silently fidgeting and removing the few dead leaves that had gathered in front of her tombstone since the last time I had been there, I finally felt ready.

"Hi, mom," I began quietly. "Sorry for not visiting you sooner, but there has been a lot happening the past two weeks, so much that I just couldn't find the time to come here. The last time I was here, I told you that I accepted Mr. Bang's offer to go to Seoul, and today is already the day I'm leaving. There are only a few hours left–" I glanced at my watch, "four to be exact – until I'm taking the train that will bring me to a new stage of my life.

"Today I had my last shift in the café. There were so many people," I continued, reminiscing the earlier happenings of the day with a smile. The café had been filled to the brim with people during the entire shift, regulars, and more infrequent customers alike, almost the whole village coming together to say their goodbyes and wish me all the best for my future. It had been extremely emotional, and tears had been swimming in my eyes throughout as most, if not all, of the people gathered there had grown close to my heart, especially the regulars that I had made lovely conversations with almost daily over the past years of working in the café.

I had finished my last ever shift in the café earlier than usual because I needed enough time to visit my mother and fetch the things I'd take with me. But when I had gone to the manager's office to officially hand over my apron to Mrs. Lee, my lovely neighbor had pressed a thick, heavy envelope into my hands. It hadn't even taken me a second to guess what was in there. Of course, I had objected, insisting that I didn't need the money, but Mrs. Lee hadn't allowed me to protest for much longer, simply telling me that it was Wednesday, thus payday and that it would break her heart should I not accept the last salary. Thus, I had eventually complied, slightly unwilling but still grateful for her always making sure that I was taken care of, taking the money back home with me.