SIXTEEN, voicemail

#% ILLIAD MOON <3 !!!

the name scrolling across my phone makes me want to throw up.

my stomach twists and turns. i feel like could projectile vomit all over my family right now.

"illi," my mother calls my name, "are you okay?" she looks at me with worry flooding her eyes. i guess i look like i could throw up too.

i can only imagine how pale my face is right now.

"me?" i ask and her and my father give me a look that screams 'duh.'

"yeah, i'm," i trip over my words as my phone screen goes black again, "i'm okay."

i watch as their dark eyes meet each other before they look back at me. they don't believe me but nod and go back to feeding harley and talking about the drama that riddles their friend group.

who knew that in your 40's there's still miscellaneous drama you have to attend to.

i take a sip of my water, continuing to listen to them rant about their life and their friends. harley next to me giggles as he eats some of his food.

i'm drinking my water when a second notification pops up on my phone. a voicemail.

no way. no fucking way.

the water in my mouth shoots out as my cheeks push air out of my lips. the liquid goes everywhere, all over my parents, all over my food, all over harley.

my parents are in shock. their conversation comes to a quick halt, their hands are in the middle of an action as they stay frozen. they stare at each other for a second before their heads turn to look at me. harley starts to giggle as he blinks away the mixture of water and my spit.

"i am so sorry" i say, my hand going to clasp over my mouth. what is wrong with me.

"are you okay?" my dad asks me. the concern in his eyes is overwhelming. he looks confused as all hell, his head going to tilt to the side like he's a lost puppy.

"i just- unexpected things" is all i say, letting a breath come out of my mouth.

my mom raises her eyebrow, she wants me to elaborate more, i know it. "what do you mean by that" she says. i know her so well.

"just," i sigh, "people, you know?"

my parents share a look for the twentieth time since we've sat down. "you're being weird" my dad says to me, squinting his eyes at me. "very weird" my mom chimes in and they put their hands together for a soft high-five.