Farewells

Chapter 4

Farewells

Emerging from the Gohma's tunnel, Link almost stumbled as he reached the familiar comfort of the Great Deku Tree's meadow. His elation at defeating the Gohma Queen faded as fatigue dulled his senses, his limbs aching with exhaustion.

"Great Father!" Link called out, trying to mask his exhaustion with a hint of cheer. "We did it! Navi and I broke the curse."

As the ancient spirit's mind touched his own, a surge of emotions overwhelmed Link. A profound sadness engulfed him, a grief he couldn't quite comprehend, far from the joyous praise he had expected. His bubble of elation burst, leaving a cold dread that snatched the warmth from his bones.

"Great Father?" Link asked, his voice cracking with concern. "What's wrong? Navi and I broke the curse, didn't we?"

"You did well, child," the Great Deku Tree said, his voice tinged with pride and a deep sorrow that dimmed Link's triumph.

"I knew you had the courage to destroy the curse within me," the Great Deku Tree continued. "But time is short, and there is much I must tell you—"

"Wait. What do you mean?" Link asked, his alarm growing. "You're going to be okay now, aren't you?"

The sadness radiating through their bond intensified. A dull ache throbbed in Link's chest, growing stronger with each passing moment. The Great Deku Tree's next words only amplified that pain.

"Your efforts in stopping the curse were successful. Through determination and courage, you prevented the Gohma's invasion into our realm. If they had escaped, the consequences would have been felt far beyond the boundaries of this forest. I am proud of you, Link, and I regret what I must now tell you. It seems my fate was sealed long before you began your quest. I suspected as much but could not confirm it until now."

Time seemed to stretch on as the weight of those heavy words settled on Link's shoulders.

"Doomed?" Link's voice trembled, struggling to grasp the magnitude of what he had just heard. "What... what do you mean?"

After an agonisingly long pause, the Great Deku Tree replied heavily, "None can withstand the currents of time forever. Not even me. With each beat of the heart, time flows ever onward, driving by the turning of time's wheel, and so life must inevitably come to its end. There is no easy way to put this, Link, and the only solace I can offer you now is that this is just part of life's endless cycle. It is an end but also a beginning. I am dying."

Link couldn't comprehend what he was hearing. The idea that the Great Deku Tree, the wise and powerful guardian of the forest, could die was beyond his imagination. It was inconceivable. Death wasn't entirely foreign to him; Saria often tended to sick or injured animals she found in the woods, and they didn't always survive, despite her best efforts, but this was different.

I am dying.

Those last words struck Link with the force of a savage blow, leaving him speechless. Navi's gasp confirmed that he had not misheard.

No.

A suffocating weight pressed against Link's chest. What would the other Kokiri think? What would Saria think? He wished she was with him. How could he face the others if the Great Deku Tree died? He couldn't stand the idea of telling them. What would he say?

"But-" he choked, barely able to form words. "You can't die! Great Father, we killed the Gohma Queen!"

Driven by a desperate need to deny the truth, Link rushed towards the Great Deku Tree. His fatigue and the pain in his injured leg became insignificant as he collapsed against one of the gnarled roots. He could still feel the warmth of the magic that flowed through the tree, but that vibrant hum of power was fading, barely discernible beneath his fingers.