Into the Fire

Chapter 28

Into the Fire

Malon's voice trailed off as she finished showing Link the final details of how to care for Epona's tack. It was getting late, the sun sinking beneath an acrid haze. Smoke drifted on the wind, carrying the stench of charred wood and cloth. Distant shouts and the thrum of hoofbeats announced caravans of people traversing the road beyond the ranch.

Navi buzzed around Link's head, darting off each time they heard the fleeing villagers, only to reappear moments later to reassure them that no one was approaching the ranch.

Unnerved by this activity, Epona stomped her hooves, her ears flat as she whinnied nervously, echoing Link's fear as he wondered if the road was safe.

"It's alright, girl," Link said, gently stroking her muzzle.

Epona returned the gesture with an angry nip, and he jerked back.

"Epona, be nice!" Malon scolded her. "Did she bite you?"

Link shook his head. "No. Besides, I've had worse."

He shared a dry smile with Navi.

It took Malon's quiet humming to calm Epona down, and even then, the frazzled mare stomped impatiently while Link busily secured his saddlebag.

Once he was confident Epona was ready, Link turned his attention to Blaze and knelt down beside the stallion to offer him a farewell. The horse seemed uninterested.

Link gently stroked Blaze's nose, the stallion's breath warm against his skin. I hope he will be alright.

Malon joined him, crouching down beside the injured horse and stroking its mane. This prompted Epona to announce her disapproval by nudging Malon in the back, nearly causing her to stumble forward.

"Hey," she exclaimed, turning around as Epona tried to push her again. "Stop that!"

"Do you think he will be okay?" Link asked, watching while Malon distracted Epona with some feed and then returned to crouch next to Link.

"The swelling has gone down since this morning," she observed, surveying the bandaged wound with a critical eye.

"That's a good sign," Navi said.

"Let's hope," Malon said. "I'm sure he will make it through."

"He couldn't be in better hands," Link told her, smiling as he did so.

Malon blushed and mumbled, "Thanks."

Navi coughed and flew closer to the pair. Link stared at her, feeling a flush of annoyance, but was rewarded with an equally irate glare. Something made her pause, however, and she looked past him towards the window.

"What?" he asked, following her gaze and seeing nothing of interest. There was no sign of life from the farmhouse, which Link took as a good sign.

"Have either of you noticed Ingo's absence?" Navi asked. "I had a look while I was checking the road, and I couldn't see him."

Now that she mentioned it, Link had noticed. Initially, he'd been glad, but the lack of any disturbance or sound was odd. The rancher's horse was in its stall, and Link could've sworn it was sulking.

"I wouldn't worry about him," Malon said, looking up. "He'll be around here somewhere, simmering quietly, I imagine."

"I hope you're right," Link said slowly, uncertainty nagging at him like an all too persistent itch.

"Do you want me to find him?" Navi asked.

"Make sure he doesn't see you," Link said, seeing as Navi was probably going to do that regardless of any objection he made.