Lens of Truth

Chapter 46
Lens of Truth

He couldn't possibly be here. Not now.

Zelda's heart raced as she sprinted down the stone path, one hand reaching for the hidden knife beneath her cloak. Darting past Impa's house, she immersed herself in the Flow, embracing Fire, ready to unleash it at a moment's notice.

A glimpse of the demon rounding the corner of Ajith's Emporium and disappearing into a narrow lane turned her blood cold. Following it alone into the darkness seemed foolish. Phantoms conjured from a person's image seldom died easily.

A wave of Shadow magic swept through Sheik as she picked up the distinct aura, raising goosebumps on her arms. Dark Link was moving towards the well and the shattered remnants of the windmill. People were gathered there, oblivious to the danger.

Zelda pushed forward, dodging townsfolk who peeked out of their windows or ran for cover. She burst onto the square where the well stood, teeming with people and Gorons combing through the ruins.

She rounded a corner, side-stepping a startled Goron that stood in her path, somehow avoiding a collision with its bulky frame.

At the far end of the square, Dark Link emerged from behind a building, sprinting towards the well. He knocked aside swords and spears as guardsmen ran to block his path.

Its lack of aggression struck Zelda as strange, but she quickly dismissed the thought. The square was crowded, and using magic could endanger everyone.

Before she could warn everyone to run, Dark Link reached the well. He vaulted over the stone rim and disappeared into the inky depths.

No ordinary creature could survive such a fall, but Zelda knew better than to underestimate the demon.

Panting, she approached the well. Cautiously, she formed a shimmering barrier within its throat, then peered into the darkness beyond. The thought of climbing down after the demon crossed her mind, but she quickly dismissed the idea.

Reckless, especially coming from you, she admonished herself. Descending would make her a sitting target for anything lurking in the shadows.

Satisfied that there were no immediate surprises, Zelda dispelled the barrier.

"Sheik... My Lady? What in the Goddesses was that?"

Zelda spun around at the man's voice, recognizing him as one of Toru's captains. His tattered sash and red and blue embroidery marked his rank. His wide eyes were fixated on the well.

People gathered around, whispering and casting suspicious glances at Zelda. The Gorons remained largely unfazed, some eyeing her with recognition and curiosity, others holding their weapons at the ready.

The tension among the Hylians was palpable. Several guards quickly ushered the onlookers away, avoiding any pushing or shoving.

Turning her attention to the young captain, his eyes trailing from her dagger to her face, she realized she was still gripping the weapon tightly. She quickly sheathed it.

"A servant of the Necromancer," Zelda answered grimly.

"It looked like our Sworn Brother-" grumbled a Goron as he lumbered towards her, earning an uncomfortable glance from the guard.

"It was a trick, I assure you," Zelda said, her voice calm. The Goron looked at her uneasily, prompting her to add, "I doubt it's coming back. Return to your duties."

The Goron nodded and wandered off, leaving both Sheik and the guard alone.

"You sure it isn't coming back?" the captain asked quietly.