The Raven

Chapter 51
The Raven

"We need to get out of here!"

Navi's yell was barely audible above the harsh screams that shattered the brief silence.

"Redeads," Link muttered.

More cries echoed the first, howling through the darkness.

Goddesses, Link thought. How many are there?

"At least they're slow," Navi said, hovering close to his ear.

"I guess that's a small mercy," Link replied. "Any idea how they appeared?"

"Your guess is as good as mine."

Had Ganondorf summoned the beasts, or did the Necromancer manage to cast one final spell to reanimate the dead?

Knowing there was no time, Link spun around to see the elder Sheikah slumped against the obelisk to which she'd been bound. Sheik was kneeling by Impa's side, her head bent down as she listened to something the other woman was saying.

"Sheik, is there another way out?" Link yelled, straining to be heard amongst the growing chorus of the living dead.

"There is." It was Courage that answered him. "Follow the path to the lake. There lies your salvation."

Link couldn't see anything yet, but he could just make out a faint clanking of armour. There were Stalfos amongst the Redead.

Damn... not so slow. Nothing was ever going to be easy for him, was it?

"Navi! Sheik!" Link called again, fear forming an icy knot in his gut. "We've got Stalfos coming towards us."

"There is a pier not far from here," Sheik answered, looking up. "Impa says there is a ferry docked there. It can take us to the other side."

She pointed towards the lake. Link swallowed. It was hardly a comforting option, but Courage seemed to think it would work. With two people incapacitated, getting there was going to be slow work. He tried to consider an alternative or if there was anything they could use as a makeshift stretcher. There was nothing, nor did they have any portal stones to warp them out of danger.

Wait.

They didn't have a portal stone, but they did have something else. He looked for Halvard, hoping to find the pendant clasped around his neck, but it was no longer there.

"It must have fallen off," Link said, breathing a mild oath. "Navi, the Shadow Medallion, help me find it!"

Without hesitating, Navi flew low to the ground, darting around like a startled dragonfly in her search for the pale amulet. Link started looking as well, but there was no sign of it.

"Here!" Navi called from off to his right. He turned to see her grab the indigo medallion before flying over to him and placing it in his outstretched hand. Clutching the precious amulet, Link dashed over to Sheik's side. Impa was nowhere to be seen. After a bewildering moment of confusion, Link caught sight of the medallion in Sheik's hand and knew what had happened.

He breathed a sigh of relief. Impa was safe. He'd awoken the sixth Sage. Now all they had to do was get out of here. His mind was racing, and he didn't even pause to consider the significance of awakening the last Sage.

Securing her bow and quiver behind her, Sheik quickly grabbed Halvard's right side. "Come on."

They climbed down the broad steps of the dais as quickly as they dared.

Sheik summoned an orb of light to guide them. It didn't matter that they now had a beacon shining in the darkness; the living dead needed no light to seek out their quarry. A Stalfos emerged, snarling as it lunged forward, blade raised. Sheik blasted it with a bolt of lightning before Link could even react.