Sworn Brothers

Chapter 13

Sworn Brothers

The bells of Hyrule Castle tolled, their mournful song resonating throughout the streets of Castletown. Draperies of black and grey replaced the bright banners of the Hyrulean Royal Family that usually graced the castle gates, announcing their sorrow to all.

Those nearest the palace were the first to realise something was amiss, aided by the town crier's hollers. Whispers quickly rippled through the gathering throng, and in the city's southern market, a forest of hands pointed to one of the palace's tall towers where long black banners hung unfurled from a window.

"It's the queen's tower."

"She's dead."

"The queen is dead."

"Even the Goddesses weep for her and her child."

"Don't be ridiculous. It's just rain!"

The heavens had not wept when the last queen had died. The people of Hyrule had loved Queen Griselda, the last lady of the once-grand House Harkinian. That day, the Goddesses had not shared their sorrow.

Almost at once, the rumours began to spread like wildfire. Most agreed on one thing: the queen had died in childbirth, along with the unborn prince. Some noted that there had been no complications when she'd birthed her last child, Prince Ewan. Some blamed the Gerudo. Some blamed the queen's nurse, Impa, for she was a Sheikah, and that alone was cause for suspicion. Others blamed the healers who had attended the queen, while a small fraction believed it was a curse. Scholars well-versed in Hyrule's history and legends suspected this was a sign of troubles to come. These scholars spoke of a pattern: every millennium, as the Kingdom of Hyrule rose to prosperity, the kingdom was struck down by a violent calamity. The last such occurrence had been almost a thousand years ago, bringing an end to the Sheikan Empire, to which Hyrule had belonged. The appearance of the comet two months ago was no coincidence. A storm was surging towards Hyrule, and her citizens were unaware and unprepared.

Nabooru had no time or patience for rumours or speculation, and to her dismay, the town was not the only place bubbling with them. The castle servants and guards were just as proficient at spreading gossip as the rest of the Hylians in Castletown. The kitchen staff had been so abuzz with talk that morning that Nabooru was certain she could have snatched an entire tray of food without anyone noticing.

For now, she had other things to do. Waiting until Ganondorf was busy with the Royal Council and King Nohansen, she slipped away to his room. Nabooru had to find out for herself whether her suspicions were correct. She was looking for a clue, any hint that Ganondorf might have been behind these recent events.

New guards were stationed at the door to his rooms, all bearing the red and white of the king's own.

Good, she thought. The others would have been suspicious of her entering his chambers alone. Unlike their Hylian counterparts, it wasn't uncommon for Gerudo nobles to have a separate apartment from their partner.

The two guards greeted her warmly and were only too eager to be told they could leave and eat a hot meal in their barracks. Nabooru was second only to the Gerudo king, so her order went unquestioned. That didn't stop the unease swirling in her stomach. How could she know they wouldn't go straight to Ganondorf? They wouldn't disturb him now. Would they?

Casting her thoughts aside, Nabooru entered the sitting room of Ganondorf's chambers. A quick glance revealed nothing out of the ordinary. A more thorough check fared no better. Then she studied the door to the servant's room. It was locked, the small space unoccupied.