Shadows Rising

Chapter 43Shadows Rising

The corridor twisted and turned in a seemingly endless maze. Link, with Sheik and Navi close behind, walked up several flights of stairs and wandered past doorways that were blocked by barriers like the ones that had given him so much grief earlier. A third corridor later, he knew they were being led into a trap. Each time their passage was barred, dread rose in the pit of his stomach.

We could really use a map, he thought, watching as Sheik carved a small sigil into the stone to mark the way back.

They came to a junction where Sheik had once left a small sigil upon the wall. The passage they now traversed seemed to go on forever, and the wall's narrow slits gave him a glimpse of a darkened, star-studded sky. Night had fallen.

How long have we been stuck inside this temple?

And how long were they in the room with the archways? Using the constellations as a guide, Navi and Sheik were able to work out that it wasn't long after dusk.

That worried Link. Surely, Halvard would have returned by now? He was probably trying to get inside the temple, no doubt dreading the thought of returning to Kakariko empty-handed. Impa would not be happy to discover he'd lost track of Sheik.

As they stared through the narrow window, a solemn silence fell over the group, making Link restless. He wondered what Navi and Sheik observed in the first vision, but Navi wouldn't answer the question. When he mentioned it, her face grew troubled, and Sheik avoided his eyes. She hadn't given him an answer the first time, right after Link had seen the creature that was supposedly some machination of his future.

Did they see the same thing as him or something else? Link truly hated the awkward silence. He wished he could think of something light-hearted or witty to say, but nothing came.

"We should hurry," Sheik said at last. "If Ganondorf's followers sensed me using the Triforce of Wisdom, they will be here soon."

"Unless they were the ones who trapped us in here," Navi said.

That's a cheerful thought.

"For the love of Farore, stop moping!" Courage growled in his head. "I'm sure if you ask nicely enough, the temple's denizens will leave you to your contemplations for eternity, but we don't have that luxury!"

"I was trying," Link thought back, feeling a touch hurt by Courage's words.

"I am not unaware of that, but you aren't trying hard enough," Courage replied.

"Perhaps they did," Sheik was saying, distracting Link. "I doubt Halvard would return without any help. We will be fine."

Nodding and holding his sword resolutely, Link pressed onwards through yet another door and up a spiral staircase. The sword's gem was almost as bright as Navi when they reached the landing. That was never a good sign. Steadying his breathing, Link pushed the door open, stepping into a spacious chamber. A velvet rug ran down the corridor's length, flanked by tall columns with snakes carved into them. There was another double door at the far end of the hall, featuring a mosaic with an animal motif.

Link paid only a fleeting glance at these details, his attention immediately drawn to the two figures standing on either side of the door and the hulking mass of armor that stood between two of the columns. The Iron Knuckle didn't move, but when the two figures stepped forward, Link realized who they were. The Twinrova sisters.

That's impossible!

He'd seen them die! Even Ganondorf knew they were dead.

"They're phantoms," Navi whispered, seeing the brief flicker of shock on Link's face. "I can feel it."