Twilight

Chapter 6

Twilight

As the wind carried the frightful snarls of the Wolfos and Link's desperate screams, Navi raced towards the wagon, the same one she and Link had spotted earlier.

Upon her arrival, she found the wagon driver standing beside the road, speaking to two gentlemen who also stood beside the wagon. A third, smaller figure was peering anxiously at them from the wagon seat. The farmers had grabbed a crude assortment of weapons, debating what to do. The red-haired girl, a bow already in hand, saw Navi approaching and cried out.

"Look, papa! A fairy!"

"Not now!" The wagon driver's voice was stern, but Navi's azure glow caught his attention. He squinted at her, as if certain his eyes were deceiving him.

The men gathered around the cart weren't surprised when they saw a fairy in their midst. Nobody questioned Navi's frantic plea, for they had all heard Link's scream. The man barked an order to the two other men, presumably farmhands, and they sprinted off towards the village gates.

"Wolfos!" they cried. "Wolfos!"

Their shouts raised a clamour from the watchers standing on the town wall. People began pouring out of the town gates, weapons in hand. Meanwhile, the farmer hefted his shovel over one shoulder and started running towards Link. His daughter followed him with an arrow already notched to her bow. In that short space of time, Link's heart-wrenching screams had faded into a deathly silence.

No, you'd be dead too, she told herself. He's not dead... he's not...

She raced towards Link as fast as she could. The remaining Wolfos and the Bulblins were retreating, but Navi's thoughts were focused on the bloodied and limp child lying sprawled in the grass. He'd killed two of the wolves, no small feat for a boy as young and inexperienced as he was.

"Link?"

The boy wasn't moving. Panic threatened to overwhelm Navi's senses as she flew towards him.

It's happening again.

Icy horror swept over her as she took in Link's appearance. The hounds had torn open the side of his face, and chunks of flesh had been ripped from one arm and leg. Link's face was a sickly grey. Navi had seen this sight before, and it threatened to bring back a flood of painful memories.

No, Goddesses, please, not again!

Icy horror swept over her as she took in Link's appearance. The hounds had torn open the side of his face, and chunks of flesh had been ripped from one arm and leg. Link's face was a sickly grey. Navi had seen this sight before, and it threatened to bring back a flood of painful memories.

"Link!" Navi called.

No response.

Please don't be dead.

"Oh, Link... Please." His eyelids twitched at the sound of her voice. He was still alive- barely. "Stay awake! I've got help," Navi begged him. "Please, stay awake!"

Link's eyes fluttered open, and his gaze seemed to wander, glazed and unfocused.

"Navi," he whispered faintly.

Navi almost had to fly over to his mouth to hear him.

"The Bulblins," Link rasped feebly. "They have the emerald. They took it."

Navi stared in petrified disbelief. Everything was going wrong too fast. "What? The Emerald-"

She looked around, searching for the Bulblins. To her dismay, they were getting away.