Prelude of Light

Chapter 52
Prelude of Light

A pale mist veiled Link's surroundings, and all he could see was an endless sea of white. Initially disoriented, Link struggled to make sense of his surroundings. His vision felt askew, and a shiver ran through him, recalling the icy touch of a blade piercing his right eye.

Shutting his remaining eye, Link willed the haunting memory away, diverting his thoughts with considerable effort. He attempted to recollect events after losing his eye, but it all remained a confusing blur.

The mask with its amber-eyed malevolence, Majora, the demonic figure reminiscent of a dismembered human corpse, the raven figurehead – Malon. Wait... Where did Malon fit into all this? He had rescued her, among others, but the escape from the nightmarish temple eluded his memory. Where was Courage in this surreal place? Despite trying, Link couldn't sense him.

No other memories emerged, except for the putrid wound inflicted on him by the dead hand. Shaking off the bitter cold that coiled through him, Link focused on his current surroundings.

"Is this a vision of the Sacred Realm?" Link wondered aloud. The peculiar mist swirling around him hinted at such a possibility. Had one of the Sages summoned him, or was this the handiwork of Courage? No stirring of their connection, no sense of the entity's presence.

Just then, the mist began to dissipate, revealing dim shapes beyond. Initially, they were mere outlines within the fog, but gradually, they crystallized into sharper clarity. As the chamber came into focus, an icy shiver traced down Link's spine – he knew this place.

This was where Ganondorf had entered the Sacred Realm, attempting to claim the Triforce. Link had led him straight to it, sealing Hyrule's grim fate. Yet, an odd acceptance of that fact filled him. Yes, he had unwittingly guided Ganondorf into the Sacred Realm's heart, but dwelling on the unchangeable held no purpose. What mattered now was his response to it, a determination to rectify the consequences of his actions.

The heavy iron doors before him swung open, revealing a vast passageway leading deeper into the temple. The child within Link yearned to explore, to uncover secrets within the hallowed halls. Yet, the more cynical part resisted, swearing off the exploration of temples forever.

"C'mon, Link, where's your sense of adventure gone?" a child's voice seemed to chime.

"I buried it," he thought sullenly.

His newfound cynicism, though not entirely unfounded, was misplaced in this instance. Rauru likely had no fondness for deadly traps or hideous monsters. The Temple of Light probably posed little danger, but Link lacked the inclination to find out. Turning his attention away from the door, he surveyed the chamber, almost identical to his recollection.

Almost.

He froze at the sight of six translucent crystals, towering over Link. Twice his height, they harboured mysterious contents. The deep azure surface shimmered against the light, easing the oppressive atmosphere compared to his previous visit.

"What are those things?" Link wondered, breaking the silence that pervaded the room.

Approaching the nearest crystal, hovering just above the Spirit Medallion symbol etched into the stone dais, Link peered into it. The figure inside was obscured, like looking through smoke. A woman with long red hair secured by a strange ruby clasp into a ponytail.

Nabooru?

Link stared at her silhouette, bewildered. Not thinking logically, he concluded that something must have happened to her, a sliver of fear coursing through him.