Nightingale

Chapter 24Nightingale

The lance drove deep into Mido's stomach. The boy stood frozen for a heartbeat, his bewildered gaze fixed on the spear's shaft. Then, he lifted his eyes to Link, the movement sluggish. That shocked and pleading expression would forever be etched into Link's memory.

Without a word, the phantom withdrew its spear from Mido's gut, leaving the boy to topple soundlessly to the ground.

"No! No, no, no, no!"

Mori's anguished cries seemed to echo through the Elder Tree's grove, and with terrible certainty, Link knew Mido stood no chance. There was nothing he could do.

An instant later, his mind screamed a warning, and Link saw the spear's bloodied tip hurtling towards him. He brought his shield up to block the deadly thrust. It slammed into his shield, the blow jarring his arm, almost knocking him off his feet.

"Link!" he heard Navi's voice from somewhere behind him. "We can still save Mido by using the sap from the Elder Tree's trunk, but you must hurry!"

There was no time for Link to ask Navi how she knew this. His every effort was focused on staying alive as he attempted to slay a demon far stronger than him. Sweating profusely, Link parried several blows. He leapt aside as each thrust came closer and closer to skewering him. He was completely on the defensive, without hope of finding an opening.

"How do I kill this thing?" Link asked, desperate for any help he could get.

"It's a shadow!" Navi called back.

Yeah, and? Navi was calling Mori, pleading with her to stay awake. She was distracted, Mori having landed on Mido, but Link quickly understood her meaning.

Of course, the light medallion!

Link blocked the spear once again. The phantom laughed at his efforts, pushing him back all the while.

Link's heart skipped a beat as the spectre lunged towards his left shoulder. He gasped, darting to his right as the spear nicked his tunic, striking the chainmail beneath.

Ganondorf's shadow hacked its spear towards him again and again. Never slowing, never faltering. It was relentless. Each savage blow pushed Link towards one of the Elder Tree's large roots, the wide girth of the enormous tendrils easily dwarfing him. Far too late, Link recognized the phantom's intentions. It was luring him into a corner. Knowing full well that Link was trapped, the demon's eyes widened with glee. Basking in its imminent triumph, the phantom toyed with him like a cat playing with a cornered mouse.

One mistake, and Link knew it would all be over. The phantom aimed low, forcing Link back as it tried to sweep its spear into his legs. Judging that there was still enough room behind him, Link launched himself in a backflip, and the spear scraped the ground beneath him. He landed nimbly on his feet, kicking up dirt and trying to knock it into the phantom's eyes. It didn't work.

Twisting to the side, Link ducked beneath another stroke that came within inches of slamming into his skull. He spun around, thrusting at the phantom's torso while slamming his shield into the spear to keep it off him. His thrust fell short, and the spectre knocked him flying into the tree root with a solid crunch.

Pain blossomed through Link's back, and the spear came hurtling towards him again. He dropped to the ground, the spear meeting wood with an audible thunk.

The shaft became firmly stuck in the root, and the phantom snarled in frustration. Seizing the opportunity, Link rolled to his feet, his blade thrusting towards the demon's exposed side.

The phantom's attention snapped to him, and as Link rushed forward, the monster raised its free hand. A blast of lightning crackled towards him before Link could comprehend what was happening.

It struck him, searing pain coursing through his body. The agonising spasms crippled him, and the next thing Link knew, he was on the ground.