Nighttime Walks

Man been about a year since I've updated huh. Yadda yadda I had to, anyways welcoming 2023 with this little ditty.

America's POV

Tap tap tap tap tap

Footsteps echoed off the dark walls that surrounded me, almost as loud as my own. The walls were hard, a chipped-away stone that tore at my exposed skin and clothes.

I would open my mouth to yell but no sound would come out.

Endless corridors, faintly lit by dying torches. The smoke filled some halls and I ran through them blindly. I can't see anything, I can't breathe. I need to breathe. I need help. Where am I?

"America," a voice barely even a whisper blew past my ear.

I froze in my tracks and looked around.

Yells and shouts came from behind me, my pursuer's footsteps shaking the ground. The walls trembled, and a few stones fell around me.

I continued to run.

"Ameeeerica" it sent chills down my spine. "This way."

A wall crumbled and a cavern was exposed. It was dark but a breeze came from it. Outside? It had to be, the air didn't smell musty or faintly like copper. It smelled of grass and pine.

Freedom.

"Hurry," The wind spoke.

I ran into the cavern without a second thought.

The ground gave way and the wind once a breeze became a roaring storm as it whistled past my ears. I tried to grab around me for something before I fell to the ground. If there even was one, around me as far as I could see was black.

The wind died down and it turned into barely understandable whispers.

I hadn't realized I was standing until I took a step forward. Solid ground. When did I land? How was I okay?

Two spotlights clicked on, the sound echoing around the pit I found myself in. They showed their light from the top down to me and I had to shield my eyes from the light. It blinded me for a moment, reflecting off the stone beneath me. I squinted my eyes to look around and there was still nothing but blackness everywhere.

A water-sloshing sound came from behind me and I spun around. A small light disappeared into the murky black water, leaving the only light the two spotlights above me. I looked down at my feet, or more accurately my knees. I stumbled back and realized the stone I had been standing on was actually dark water and it had soaked through my jeans and shoes.

The liquid was thicker than water I realized as I tried to walk around. And it was rising.

I scrambled towards where that light had been, desperate for something to latch on to. The spotlights followed me as I ran, so I wasn't even certain if was moving forward or not. The only confirmation I had was the water resistance that was starting to slow me down.

It was up to my thighs now.

I looked up at the light and I tried to call for help. As soon as I opened my mouth I started to cough. I clutched my stomach and started to throw up. Black liquid came from my mouth and it mixed into the rest that surrounded me.

I held my mouth closed with my hand and the feeling to throw up went away. But then my vision started to go black.

I blinked a few times and it started to slowly come back, liquid running down my cheeks.

I touched it with my fingertips and saw through blurry vision the liquid gathered on them.

I was crying the black liquid.