Unlikely Friend

Expositional chapter warning!

Narrator's POV

It was an oddly warm day for being winter. Of course, climate change but on the island climate was regulated to match with each countries proper season. UN must have done something, on accident or on purpose who knew. It didn't matter, the melting snow allowed Russia to work outside for a bit.

The snow was heavier and took on a composition similar to that of a snow cone, so not the best to shovel. Russia could work with it though. He'd rather this than trying to do it in a blizzard. Scraping ice off the stone path, putting salt to battle against it forming again, and making sure his father's headstone was cleaned off and had no sign of weathering.

He wanted to get a few household chores done before he left.

Russia didn't know how long he would be gone, at most a week. But he was willing to go longer if he needed to. Whatever to get America some answers. He wouldn't run away or be scared, as America had been. At that moment, he was the best person to do this. From his knowledge at least. He even had a few allies in the caves; the nameless kids. If he could find those kids again, maybe he could have a better chance.

A chance he would have.

From the wood line the small figure, that had been more or less stalking Russia all the way to his home, was hiding behind a tree. He wore dull colored clothes and one of his bear skinned cloaks to hide and keep himself warm.

He was keenly watching Russia as he worked, finding interest in the strange statue in the back yard. He would have walked up to it to look at it more closely, but his footprints in the snow would have given him away easily. So repress his impulsiveness to be curious he did.

At least there he did. If he had been able to do that before he left his village's hiding place he wouldn't have been in this situation. But he couldn't help himself, he was fascinated by the country. He had heard many stories of his elders, the strong country that helped the people up north, the deal that his mother had made with the Empire, tales of times where both sides helped each other. He wanted to see if Russia shared some of the same qualities as he was told his ancestors had.

He was the great wolf, of course. But then again, that's something only his siblings call him.

Seeing that Russia had moved a little and the small boy couldn't see him he decided to get a little closer. He ducked down, holding his little cloak up off the ground, and started humming to himself. It was a little theme song, one that mimicked a character in a movie he did not see at all, cause if he did his mother would be very upset. But if he did, which he totally didn't, that character's name might hypothetically have been named Kronk.

As he hummed his little theme song, he skillfully and silently ducked behind leafless bushes and quickly hid behind trees. His moccasins provided him the ability to move quieter and lighter, the color of the bear fur was perfect to hide behind the dark trees. He was agile, light, and well-coordinated.

At least for a little while.

As soon as he was about to move behind another tree, his foot got caught on a root and he tripped and fell smack on his face.

Quickly he scattered back behind the tree he just tried to move from and held his breath.

There was no sound and when the little boy took a chance to peek behind the tree he was relieved to see Russia had not been outside to see him fall. He must have gone inside.

"Phew," he whispered to himself. He ducked behind the tree he was heading for and moved a little closer, less careful now that Russia wasn't in the backyard anymore. He would have gotten closer and maybe actually approach him instead of hiding but he was always around America. He was just coming from his house, so maybe they are done seeing each other for the day. Still, the risk was too great. His mother always said that the most important thing was that he must never see their faces again. Not until they can make it safer, at least. He couldn't wait until then. He really missed hanging out with his older brother.