Soviet has Daddy Issues

Narrator's POV

It was spring on the island again, snowy landscapes now muddy terrains with fresh flora sprouting between puddles.

It was chilly, with a haze of mist and light fog that ran through the woods. It was eerie, snaking through the trees, and made it hard to see the ground where Russia walked.

He was sure-footed, despite the wet leaves and slippery ground.

It had been a while since he walked through this part of the woods. He knew the last time was when he and America stumbled across the abandoned palace. How something that big managed to stay hidden from the world- from him- didn't make much sense. His father had taken him everywhere in these woods. He knew them, he was trained to know them.

Perhaps his father didn't know?

Russia shook his head.

Alone he traveled, just with his thoughts as he would prefer with this. He didn't want to bring America back there, not with how he had reacted the first time. He still didn't have a clue why he suddenly went mad and attacked him.

And that's why he's there. To find out.

Now if only he had an easier time finding it.

It's been two hours and every time he's certain he knows where he's going, he starts to doubt himself and changes direction. It was starting to get frustrating for him.

It was like something was keeping him away.

And something was, unbeknownst to Russia. His duly undead Dad was following him around on his hunt, invisible to his eyes and ears. He guided his son away from the direction of the palace every time he started towards it. He was trying his best to convince him to turn around and to stay away from that place but unfortunately, his influence only reached so far.

Russia mumbled some curses under his breath that Soviet scolded him for.

He sharply turned in the direction of the palace once more.

Soviet turned him around.

Russia got angry.

Rinse and repeat.

Tired, Russia decided to sit down and take a break. He pulled his bag off his back and dug out some provisions, a water bottle, and some snacks.

He didn't think he'd be out here all day but he was fully prepared to make this an overnight trip if he needed to.

As he munched on some snacks, he thought about how he found the palace again. He had been running yes, a bit frazzled albeit, but he was still keeping track of where he was heading. Especially with his unexpected detour. He hadn't stumbled upon it on accident, it had felt more like he was being guided to it. But now he was being kept away. What changed?

His boot heel dug into the dirt underfoot as he thought.

It was an emergency, he was scared maybe it was the sense of panic that did it. He can't recreate that sense of urgency right now, so he can't test that out yet. 

Russia sighed, looking at the protein bar he held. Theories swarmed his mind as he tried to find the most logical one. It could be that he's thinking too much into this and then is just psyching himself out. He didn't accept that one, he'd been trained better than that, there was no way he'd be this disoriented this quickly. Perhaps then there's some kind of device or another that is designed to keep passerby's far away from the palace, and the reason it didn't work last time was because he was so distraught. He knew his father was working on something similar during the Cold War. But that wouldn't explain why he was directly guided to it last time.