Players

Narrator's POV

South Korea sat on his bed, vigorously pressing the buttons on his controller. His mouth was open, forming the words his mind thought but not saying them out loud. His hands made quick jagged movements as if the motions would affect his game character's placement.

"당신은 잘못하고있다. (You're doing it wrong.)"

"나는 당신이 비판하지 말고 보도록 초대했습니다. (I invited you to watch, not to criticize.)"

His brother sighed deeply as if to provoke another argument. But he couldn't let his antiques distract him. Wrong or not, he was winning. 

North Korea frowned and watched with an intense focus eye, studying his brothers' reaction time, certain moves he'd make and so forth. They were rather unorganized, choppy, and purely in the moment. He had no plan, no clear path of action. And yet, he was winning.

South's phone played a little jingle, and he paused the game. He checked the message and seen it was an invite to a mini party at Germany's. Which was weird, since Germany never really invited people over to his house. To be honest, it was always kind of creepy, too. South had never been inside, but the outer design of it was off-putting. It reeked of bad energy, for obvious reasons. The history there was not exactly pure white.

"무엇입니까? (What was it?)" North asked, only cause he had nothing better to focus on. The game was paused; his only interest.

"독일은 파티에 초대를 보냈습니다. (Germany sent me an invite to a party.)" South showed him his screen, North quickly scanning it. 

"당신은하지 않을거야. (You're not going.)" 

"네 맞아요. (Yeah right. I totally am.)" 

"나는 거절했다. (I said no.)"

"글쎄, 나는 그렇다고 말했다. (Well, I said yes.)"

The two looked at each other, holding eye contact and glaring. It was yet another standoff between them, a regular occurrence. North holding his straightened stance, and South leaning forward to try and put him off.

"독일은 그 미국인과 친구입니다. (Germany is friends with that American.)" 

"거기는! (There it is!)" South threw his hands up in the air dramatically. He stood, taking a few steps away from the bed to pace. "우리는 그것을 얻습니다, 당신은 미국을 싫어하지만 진지하게? 나는 그 남자를 좋아한다! (We get it, you hate America, but seriously? I don't, I like the guy!)"

"남쪽 난 (South, I-)" 

"아니! (Nope!)" South pointed his finger at North, shutting him up by his sudden action. "어, 나는이 모임에 가서 재미있게 놀거야. 사실로! (Nuh huh, I will go and have fun at this get-together. In fact!)" 

North sat still and watched his brother act out of exasperation. He made dramatic movements with his words, waving his hands around and exaggerating his facial expressions. It took a lot for him not to lash out in anger from this absurd behavior directed him.

But he couldn't hold himself when South had the audacity to point to him and demand, "당신은 나와 함께 간다! (You are coming with me!)"

"뭐!? 아니! (What!? No!)" 

"예. 나는 당신을 데려오고 당신은 선택의 여지가 없습니다. (Yes. I'm bringing you along and you have no choice.)" 

North stood, gave South a furious glare. They both stayed in place, having yet another stair off. But when it was apparent that South wouldn't back down, North stomped out of the room.