Part 4

The rest of the day was just as cheerful as the day before, with Hannah and Nina playing happily with their presents and the adults talking in the living room. Andie and Bane had chosen to spend a little while alone in Andie's room, playing the CD Bane had given her to not be overheard. The snow was still falling gently outside. Hannah had always wanted a white Christmas, Andie thought with a smile.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Bane asked.

Andie smiled at him.

"I was just thinking of Hannah, and how excited she was when she saw the snow outside."

"I bet she was. You should have seen Uncle Rob, he was grinning like a kid."

They laughed. Bane leaned back, showing the necklace around his neck. Andie glanced at it for a moment. He hadn't hesitated in putting on before, but what if that had been out of politeness and because everyone had been watching?

"Hey, Bane?"

"Yeah?"

"I hope you're okay with... with my necklace," Andie said. "... I just..."

He smiled softly and shook his head.

"Andes, it's fine. I appreciate the thought." he said. "I know you went through a lot these past few weeks."

Andie didn't want to think about that. It was too painful. She looked for a change of subject, and soon found one.

"So, your uncle and Lisa seem to be getting along," she smiled.

"Yeah," he agreed. "It feels strange, but in a good way."

Andie leaned against the wall, watching the snow fall outside.

"Really? I wonder how I'd feel in that position..."

"Well, it's weird because I'm not used to it, but it's good because Uncle Robert deserves to be happy."

Andie nodded, but unsure what to say, she preferred to remain silent.

« I wonder what the other girls are doing, » Bane said eventually.

Andie laughed.

"Isabelle's probably fighting with her sisters to keep them from eating too much chocolate," she grinned.

Bane chuckled.

"Probably," he agreed. "Emily's probably singing carols."

"Or forcing herself not to," Andie answered. "She hates carols."

"Oh, right," he grinned.

"And Jessica's probably struggling to not die of boredom."

Bane raised an eyebrow.

"How can you be bored at Christmas?" he asked, aghast. "Especially someone like Jessica, who's always got some crazy idea up her sleeve!"

"Yes, I know," Andie smiled. "But her grandmother's there, apparently, and she hates noise. So they have to be really quiet."

"Quiet on Christmas day? That's harsh," Bane commented, grinning.

"Tell me about it," Andie laughed. "But I wouldn't worry. Knowing Jessica, she'll have long since found a way around it."

Bane smiled.

"She certainly wouldn't go down without a fight," he said.

Andie suddenly recognized the first few bars of the song they were listening to.

"Hey... that's the song we were listening to earlier, isn't it?"

"I was pretty sure you'd like it, so I added it on," Bane smiled.

He got to his feet and held out his hand.

"May I have this dance, fair maiden?" he asked with a grin.

Andie shook her head in amusement and took it.

"You may, kind sir," she smiled.

And there they were dancing around her room, laughing, Bane stealing the occasional kiss here and there. Andie felt more relaxed with just the two of them. She was less nervous around her mother than she had been a few months ago, but she was still working on her confidence. There was one thing she was sure of, though. Now that Bane was back, she had a feeling it would be easier.

Eventually, after a few hours, the Davises and Bensons took their leave, after profusely thanking the Galestones. It was dark, yet the street was glowing with the colorful lights around the windows and fences.

"Thank you for everything, Nina's thrilled." Lisa said.

They were all standing at the door. The snow had finally stopped falling and the streets glistened a blueish white in the darkness, some parts colored in red, green and blue here and there. There were still sounds of celebration in the distance, but the streets were quiet.

"You're very welcome, we were all glad to have you." Lauren smiled.

"Feel free to come over for coffee," Hank said.

"I might take you up on that," Lisa smiled.

Some people would have found that strange. But Andie knew her parents loved each other far too much to even think of anyone else. Nina and Lisa walked away and disappeared into their house, Nina and Hannah waving at each other.

Andie followed the Davises outside.

"I'll give you a minute," he smiled.

He climbed into the car. Andie turned to Bane.

"I had a great time," she told him.

"Me too." he answered.

He rubbed a snowflake off her nose and kissed her. When he pulled back, he said:

"I love you," he said.

Andie, since the day Bane had gotten her to join him at the park after waking up from his coma, had been scared of pronouncing the three words.

"Me too," she said.

She was fairly sure he had noticed that, but seemed content with her response.

He kissed her one more time. Then, he moved away and climbed into the car. Andie felt Hank's arm around her shoulders.

"He's a good kid," he commented.

Robert pulled out of the drive and slowly went up the snowy street.

"Yeah..." Andie said as the car turned the corner. "He really is."

***********************

Well, that wraps up our "Galestone Christmas" he he. Hope you had fun!

What is your favorite thing about Christmas? I'd love to hear it in the comments!

As always, I would love to hear your comments, and if you enjoyed the
chapter, please consider hitting the star button so I know where to find
and thank you ;-)

How much longer will the peace last? What awaits the Fateful Five? Let's find out in the next chapter!