Part 66

"Andie! Andie, open your eyes!"

"Get back, everyone, give her space!"

Andie's every muscle weighed a ton. Her head was so heavy she couldn't move it. Had someone put a vice around her skull, or what? And why was she so cold? Her eyes were closed, but she could hear voices around her, though was unable to tell who they belonged too. They sounded a little like Coach Tanner and Isabelle, but her head hurt too much for her to think about it. Slowly, however, the noise became clearer.

"Come on, Andie!" came a voice that was definitely Coach Tanner's.

Andie coughed and spluttered, her eyes slowly opening. Her head was spinning and painful. She blinked to clear her vision. Once she could see properly again, she slowly looked around. Coach Tanner was crouching next to her. Isabelle, Emily and Jessica stood in front of the row of students watching her. She was on the cold pool floor, something softer under her head. A jacket, probably. The tiles felt cold under her skin, and her hair was stuck to her face for some reason. And why was she so cold?

"Andie? Can you hear me?" Coach Tanner asked.

Andie could, but it took a few moments for her to remember how to use her mouth.

"Yes..." she answered in a thick voice. "What... why am I wet?"

"You fell in the water after you hit your head," Coach Tanner told her.

Andie tried to sit up, but a sharp pain in her head forced her back down.

"Easy. I called an ambulance, it's on its way now."

"It's not necessary, I'm fine..." Andie said.

"You hit your head hard," Coach Tanner said firmly. "We need to make sure you don't sustain any serious injury."

Andie sighed. It would have been bad enough if it hadn't been in the middle of a class, but with all of them watching, it made it even worse...

"Class dismissed, go on, this isn't a spectacle!" Coach Tanner said sharply, as though she'd sensed her distress.

Everyone but Isabelle, Emily and Jessica stayed behind.

"You too, ladies," the coach said.

"No, wait," Andie said, her voice a little stronger. "Can they stay?"

Coach Tanner looked from her to the others.

"All right, then." she said. "They can stay until the ambulance comes."

The girls immediately dropped down beside her.

"Thanks, coach," Emily said.

Andie then noticed someone was missing.

"Where are Bane and Eric?"

"I sent them to the principal's office the minute Bane had pulled you out of the water," the coach told her.

Slowly, Andie sat up with help from Isabelle and Jessica.

"Bane pulled me out?" Andie asked.

"Yeah. Eric just froze. I think he was still shocked that he'd hit you," Isabelle said.

"What were you thinking, getting in between them, like that?" Emily demanded. "That blow could have snapped your neck!"

"I meant to stop Eric from punching Bane," Andie said. "I just didn't realize he wouldn't be able to stop his own blow."

She turned to coach Tanner.

"Coach, what d'you think the principal will do with them?"

Coach Tanner sighed. It occurred to Andie she wasn't happy about this either.