Part 59

"You're kidding, right? You have to come to the dance!"

"Why? It's not going to ruin my life if I don't..."

Andie was lying on her bed, her friends standing around her. The Valentine Masquerade dance was that evening, and the girls were trying to get Andie to go despite no longer knowing if she had a Valentine. She had considered calling Bane, but hadn't been able to press the call button.

"Well..." Jessica said, who seemed to be struggling to think of something to say. "Go for our sake, then!"

Andie frowned tiredly.

"What?" she asked.

"It'll ruin it for us if you don't go. It won't be any fun." Isabelle said, catching on.

"And I'm sure that you don't want to ruin our evening as well, do you?" Jessica asked, batting her eyelashes.

"Come on, Andes, it'll be fun..." Emily insisted.

Andie sighed and looked at them.

"Okay, fine. Fine. I'll go."

Jessica clapped and whooped.

"I told you that would work!" Jessica told the other two.

Andie rolled her eyes.

"But there's one problem," she said. "I don't have a dress."

"Yes, you do," Jessica said, grinning.

"No, I don't," Andie replied. "Jess, I would know if I had a dress for the dance..."

"Yes, you do," Jessica insisted.

She set down the three bags of shopping she had come with and pulled out two boxes.

"Jess... what did you..." Andie began.

"Hush," Jessica silenced her. "And prepare to be amazed."

She held out the larger box to Andie, who took it incredulously. The girls all looked at her expectantly. Andie gingerly opened the box, and gasped. Inside was a beautiful white dress with rhinestones around the bodice and straps. She pulled it out gently and held it up to get a better look.

"... Oh, my gosh... it's actually perfect..." Andie whispered. "Jess, how...?"

"We've been friends for years, honey, I think by now I know your tastes and what you'll look good in," Jessica grinned. "And what would a perfect dress be without... the perfect shoes?"

She opened the other box and produced a pair of white sparkling shoes.

"Jess... this is too much..."

"It's not to get a smile on your face," Isabelle said.

Andie looked at them all, and realized they weren't doing it because their fun would be ruined. They were doing it because they wanted to take her mind of everything.

"You guys are the best," she said.

"I know, we are kind of awesome," Jessica shrugged with a grin.

Andie got to her feet.

"Hey, by the way, what were you going to do if you hadn't gotten me to change my mind?" she asked.

"Oh, there was a perfect green dress I would have swapped it for." Jessica smiled.

The girls laughed heartily.