Part 67

The next day, Jessica came to pick Andie up.

"The girls are here too... and Eric," she added cautiously. "I just though it was simpler if just one of us came in. I hope that's okay."

"Yeah, of course," she said. "... Have you..."

She paused a moment, struggling to keep her voice steady.

"Have you heard from Bane?"

"No, should I have?"

Andie almost told her about her conversation the night before. But she couldn't make the words form in her mind, let alone her mouth.

"No," she finally said. "He probably had other things to do."

"Are you okay?" Jessica asked.

"Yeah. Yeah, I just... want to get out of here."

"I thought we could have a drink at the Fountain, since it's Saturday," Jessica said. "But Eric wanted to see you..."

Andie sighed. She could never get a break with either of them, could she?

"Okay." she said. "We can still go afterwards."

"If you're sure," Jessica said. "You all set?"

"Yeah. I need some fresh air," Andie answered.

"That's my girl," Jessica beamed, lacing her arm through Andie's.

Andie managed a weak smile and let her lead the way out of the room. They came into the hall, where some distance away, Isabelle and Eric were speaking in hushed voices. And for the first time since she'd met Isabelle, she saw anger in her eyes, as she spoke to Eric, who looked a little like a child being scolded. Andie almost felt sorry for him.

"Andie!" Emily called.

"Hey, Em," Andie said, smiling as she hugged her.

Isabelle and Eric looked up. Isabelle said something to Eric, who wasn't given time to answer, and then walked over.

"Hey, Andie, it's good to see you on your feet again." she said, squeezing her.

"Nice to be on my feet," Andie smiled.

She glanced at Eric over Isabelle's shoulder. They exchanged a look as Isabelle pulled away from her.

"You ready to go?" Emily asked.

"Yeah," Andie said. "I'll just be a minute."

"We'll wait for you by the front desk," Isabelle said.

She turned to Eric while the girls began making their way out.

"You wanted to see me?"

"Yeah. I wanted to check you were okay... I really feel terrible about yesterday."

"I know. No point going on about it, it's done." Andie replied. "And it was an accident, I know that."

She wanted to tell him that if he ever tried to assault Bane again, she would put an end to their friendship, but somehow she couldn't. The thought of her never seeing Eric again was more painful than she had imagined.

"... Good..." Eric said. "Look, I think we need to talk. Can we meet up later?"

Andie only just held back a tired sigh. She had to admit he was right.

"I agree," she said. "Say around four?"

"Four," he nodded.

"I'll see you then," she said, and marched off after her friends.