Part 73

It took a long time for her to explain everything. She tried not to leave anything out, feeling that if she was telling them everything, she may as well be thorough. At first, they tried to interrupt, saying thing likes "Honey, it's great that you have such a vivid imagination, but it's not possible," or "You must have been dreaming it and it felt so real you convinced yourself it was", but when Andie and Hannah both told them it was very real indeed, they fell silent. They let out gasps when Andie told them of the battles she'd been involved in, and looked about to faint when she told them of both her and Hannah being abducted.

Andie struggled at times to explain everything, but now that she'd started, she had to see it through to the end, or she would never be able to start again. When she had finished, she watched them, waiting for them to berate her for lying to them for so long, for breaking their trust... but they just looked shocked. Were they feeling like they should have seen that something was going on? Were they feeling they'd put too much burden on her shoulders? She couldn't tell.

"... Mom... Dad...?"

"... I... we..."

"We're sorry you felt you had to keep this from us..." Hank said.

"... It was also for your protection... I figured that if you didn't know, then Zorak wouldn't have any reasons to go after you."

"But he went after Hannah..." Lauren said in a shaky voice.

"Because she had already started showing signs of having powers, though she was mainly bait for us..." Andie said. "I'm sorry I lied to you about that... I'm sorry I let it happen in the first place..."

"Honey, it wasn't your fault." Hank said. "Bane was right. You would only have endangered yourself and Hannah more by rushing after them."

Andie nodded. They were probably right. She couldn't take the blame for everything that went wrong around her. It was pointless.

"Thank you."

"You've always fought tooth and nail for Hannah," Lauren said. "And we know you only lied to protect us."

"But why are you telling us now?" Hank asked. "I thought Hannah had given you back your power?"

"Yes, but that doesn't mean that Zorak won't try and use her again, or you, to get to me. And when Hannah got so deeply involved, I thought I owed you the truth. I hated lying to you, knowing how much you trusted me."

"We would probably have done the same," Lauren said.

Andie ran a tired hand through her messy hair.

"Do you have any other questions? Because I'm dying for a shower and some sleep."

"No, you can go get some rest," Hank said. "Shall I bring you up some food?"

"No, thanks, Dad, I'm too exhausted to be hungry," she said with a small smile.

"I'll make you a chicken salad if you get hungry later, then." he said.

"Thanks, Dad." she said.

She got to her feet and hugged them, trying not to flinch when her shoulder stung,

She kissed the top of Hannah's head, then made her way up the stairs to the bathroom, where she took a hot shower, then collapsed onto her bed and fell asleep instantly.

The next morning, Andie woke up late. It was past ten. Usually, her parents made sure they were up by about nine thirty, but given what they had learned, she figured they had let it slide. She quickly got out of bed and dressed before going downstairs. Hannah was already up and watching cartoons, while Lauren and Hank were sitting in the kitchen, talking in hushed voices.