Part 60

For a split second, Andie was ready to shove the impertinent stranger away, but then, their lips met, and she stopped struggling. She knew those lips. She knew that scent. She kissed him back, her hand coming up to touch his cheek. A part of her knew she probably shouldn't, but she didn't care. She pulled him closer, only now realizing how much she'd missed it. They pulled apart, looking at each other, though Andie could only see the eyes through the mask. Before she could say anything, however, he moved away from her and headed off.

"Bane, wait!" she tried to say.

But he was already gone. Andie tried to chase after him, ignoring the sounds of protest as she moved through the crowd, and ended up outside, the chilly wind whipping her face. She looked around, but there was no sign of Bane. She sighed and went back inside, where she ran into Jessica by the buffet table.

"What in the world was that?" Jessica asked. "You and that guy in blue?"

"Huh? Oh..." she said. "I don't really know..."

"Well, do you at least know who it was?" Jessica insisted.

"Bane, of course!" Andie exclaimed, sounding offended. "Do you really think I'd let anyone else kiss me like that? Or kiss them back? Gee, thanks, glad to know you think so highly of me."

"Well... with all the drama you've had thrown at you lately... I thought..."

Andie softened.

"That's getting a bit extreme, isn't it?" she chuckled.

"I suppose," Jessica agreed with a laugh, relaxing. "But seriously, I wouldn't go near Bane."

"Jess, don't start that again... we've been through all kinds of things together, we can't just shut him out..."

"You have, you said you haven't spoken to him in days!"

"I'm the one who's dating him, I think my position is a little different from yours," Andie pointed out.

"... Yeah... you're right..."

"Jess... it's already complicated enough as it is... please don't make this a reason for us to fight... okay?"

"Okay." Jessica said. "Uh, I have to go find Ben, are you okay?"

Jessica had come with Ben Willows, whom she had been dating for several weeks now, after spending three times longer pretending to hate him.

"Sure. I'll be fine. I think I'll head home soon, anyway..." Andie said.

"Oh..." Jessica said, looking disappointed. "Really?"

"Jess, I'm fine. I really appreciate you trying to make me feel better, but this isn't the way. You guys go have fun, don't mind me."

They looked at each other.

"Are you sure? It'll feel weird, having fun without you..."

"I won't die over one evening at home," Andie said, smiling more widely than was really necessary. "Just forget about me, and enjoy your night."

She leaned forwards and kissed Jessica's cheek.

"I'll see you at school," she said.

And she hurried off before Jessica could try and persuade her to stay.

Andie didn't quite know whether she preferred being all alone in her room or outside the gymnasium, so she decided to take a few minutes to herself outside in the fresh air. She closed her eyes to let it blow on her face.