Part 26

Sitting in her room, playing absently with flames on her fingertips, Andie tried to make sense of the jumble that was now her life. She was caught between working on recovering from her time in the Demon Realm, trying to reassure Bane that they were fine as well and figuring out if Eric's friendship hadn't grown into more, mastering her fire powers to avoid being killed by Zorak, and trying to live her normal life... normally, with everything else. Did the others have as much mess to sort through? There was a knock on her door, and she quickly made the flames disappear. Hank peered inside.

"Honey? Can I come in?"

"Sure." Andie said, sitting up. "How was your meeting?"

"It was... tense. But never mind that."

Andie wasn't sure what that meant, but didn't comment. Hank sat on the edge of her bed and looked at her.

"Is everything all right?" he asked. "You seem... troubled, lately."

Andie hesitated. She used to tell her father everything... and now she was forced to keep secrets from him... although... maybe not all of them...

"... Well... it's complicated..."

Hank gave a small smile.

"When is it ever not complicated?" he asked. "What is it?"

"... If I tell you it's girl stuff, are you still sure you want to know?"

"As long as it's nothing physical, yes," he chuckled.

Andie flushed furiously but couldn't help smiling slightly too.

"No, no... it's nothing like that. No... you remember when Eric and I were small? We spent all our time together?"

"How could I forget? He would get into no ends of trouble."

Andie laughed.

"Oh, yes, he did, didn't he? Anyway... the thing is, it was easy, between us then. We knew each other like the back of our hands... we always knew where we stood... But since he's come back, it's like... I don't know... it doesn't feel the same."

"What makes you say that?"

"... I... he's so different from when we were little..."

"You are different. Both of you." Hank pointed out. "You've grown up, and people change when they grow up."

"I guess so... But I feel like I have to choose between Bane and Eric, and... I hate it. I love Bane, and Eric's a friend... it shouldn't be this... complicated..."

Hank ran a hand through his daughter's hair. Andie shifted so as to lean into her father, who wrapped a strong arm around her. It reminded Andie of when she was a little girl, when he calmed her down after having a nightmare. Eventually, Hank said:

"The problem is, honey, that in matters of the heart, things are never as straightforward as you'd like them to be."

The next day didn't help Andie. She had seen Bane, and waved him over. She was pulling things out of her locker, but as she pulled out her Calculus book, she dislodged three others and they toppled out onto her foot.

"OW! Shoot," she grumbled.

She bent down to rub her foot.

"Are you okay?" came Bane's voice beside her, hurrying over.

"Here, let me help you..."

She glanced around at Eric, also reaching down to pick up her books. The boys eyed each other.