Part 37

Later that evening, Bane drove Andie home. He'd picked her up at her house and dropped her off from school most of the time, lately. At first it had felt a little patronizing to Andie, since she had a car and was perfectly able to drive herself, but it had soon occurred to her that Bane was only doing it to spend a little more time with her without being constantly bothered by one thing or another.

And she enjoyed those moments as well. Bane was usually more relaxed, then. When he'd parked outside her house, they climbed out and walked towards her front door.

"Well... today certainly was unusual..." Andie said.

"You said it," Bane agreed, his hand around hers. "I still can't believe he tried to hit you from behind..."

"Bane, it's okay..." Andie said, squeezing his fingers. "We were both mad, we both said things... I mean, I threw flames at him!"

Bane relaxed a little.

"Yeah, I was actually pretty impressed by that." he told her, grinning.

Andie smiled.

"Thanks. But let's hope it doesn't go that far again."

"Agreed," Bane nodded.

They paused outside her door.

"Same time tomorrow?" he asked.

Andie nodded and tied her arms behind his neck as Bane's touched her waist, sending a tingle of electricity through Andie's body, and making her heart accelerate and breath falter slightly. She glanced up at Bane, whose breath was also slightly shorter, she thought. She reached up and kissed him, their bodies instinctively reducing the space between them.

Andie's fingers knotted into his hair while Bane kept pulling her closer. They inhaled each other's scent, knowing it by heart and yet still feeling like it was the first time they'd ever smelled something so wonderful and intoxicating.

"Mom, Andie's back!"

Andie and Bane jerked away as if they had been electrocuted. Or on fire, Andie thought, judging by the heat in her face and Bane's fluster. They heard hurried footsteps and the door swung open to reveal a grinning Hannah.

"Hey, Andie! Why are you standing outside? Did you forget your key?"

Andie let out a nervous laugh.

"No, Hannah, I was just saying goodnight to Bane," she said quickly. "Go back inside, I'll be there in a minute."

Hannah cast them both a strange look that seemed to mix perplexity and suspicion, but said nothing and vanished behind the door as it closed. Andie and Bane exchanged a flushed glance, and then burst out laughing, catching hold of each other for support.

"Your sister... just... killed me..." Bane chortled.

"I know...!" Andie grinned between laughs. "I'm just glad she was the one to open the door! I hate to think what would have happened if it had been one of my parents!"

As their laughs died down, they straightened up, still looking at each other.

"I had better go," Andie said. "I'll see you in school."

Bane nodded, then cupped her hands in her face and kissed her one more time, gently. Then, he pulled away and smiled softly.

"Goodnight."

Andie smiled back.

"Goodnight."

Bane walked off, glancing at her a few times as he made his way to his car. Before climbing in, he looked over the roof at her. It reminded Andie of the day they had held a surprise birthday party at the Soda Fountain for her. It had started raining when they'd left, and Bane and she had exchanged a long look too. She had had no idea what he felt for her then. In fact, if she was honest, she still wasn't sure of the extent of his feelings for her. As Bane drove away, Andie sighed and turned to go back inside.