Part 10

Soon enough, though, everything was ready. Bane had brought out the fairy lights they usually put up at Christmas, and had moved some of the lamps to use as makeshift projectors. It was no Carnegie Hall, but Andie liked it anyway. She glanced at the crowd. Some looked up curiously, wondering what was going on. Others, to Andie's pleasant surprise, were looking expectant.

"Hello, everyone," Andie said. "For those who don't know me, my name is Andie Galestone. Many excellent books have been made into movies, and some of these films have iconic songs to match. It is my pleasure today to perform some of them for you. I hope you enjoy the ride."

She nodded to Ken, who started the music. And she began to sing, looking at audience, winking at her friends, grinning at her family, her eyes finally resting on Bane, who was just watching her, smiling. She couldn't help thinking back to a few months ago when she barely raised her hand in class. Now, here she was, singing in front of strangers and enjoying herself. The sun gleamed through the window. Once she'd finished the first song, she began another. And so it went on, with some people staying for several hours, others listening for a few moments and leaving, sometimes with a book. A few even bought several. However, neither Andie or her friends noticed the silent figures in the corner, watching, hidden from view in the falling darkness outside, minds whirring as they both planned out their schemes.

"You were wonderful, honey," Lauren said.

"Thanks, mom. Oh, the others are waiting for me, I'll be right back."

She waved and headed towards Isabelle and the others, thanking people who praised her as she went.

"Wow, someone's got stars in her eyes," Jessica teased.

"I know," Andie smiled. "I never thought I'd enjoy performing. I mean, I don't know if I'd want to make a career out of it, but it's fun."

"Well someone's certainly not ten years old anymore," said a voice behind her.

Andie whipped round. There, before her, stood a tall young man. Grey eyes stared down at her with an impish grin.

"... I'm sorry, do I know you?" Andie asked, warily.

She was very aware of Bane eying the stranger warningly. Who, rather than stare coldly back, seemed to ignore him.

"Ow. Now, I'm wounded." he said. "I know it's been a while, but don't you remember me, Addy?"

Andie blinked, torn. That rang a bell... but where... then it hit her. She knew exactly who that boy was.

"Oh, my gosh, Eric!" she gasped, reaching up and pulling him into a hug.

He was quite a bit taller than her.

"What are you doing here?"

"I moved here, my Dad got transferred."

"What are the odds?" Andie laughed. "Oh, sorry..."

She turned to her friends.

"Guys, this is Eric Donovan, he was my best friend before I moved from Denver. Eric, these are my friends, Isabelle, Jessica, Emily..."

She hesitated slightly when she came to Bane. But he saved her the dilemma.

"Bane Davis, her boyfriend," he said evenly, holding out a hand.

Eric shook it too, his face cordial but guarded. Andie glanced uncertainly from one to the other, hardly able to miss the tension between them. Bane had never encountered another boy in Andie's life... he was just... getting an idea of what he was looking at, that was it. Yes. Desperate to find a subject to lighten the mood, she asked: