Part 72

As the lights faded and the sounds of Zorak's screams died away, Andie sank to the floor, and let herself fall back into the grass. Isabelle and the others sat beside her.

"Ow!" she groaned, remembering too late that hard surfaces and wounded shoulders rarely mixed. "That was a brilliant move..."

Bane helped her sit up.

"Here, let me look..." Isabelle said.

Since discovering her powers, Isabelle had been reading up on a lot of medical books.

"Hmmm the wound's neat, that's good..." she said as she eyed the damage. "It looks like it's fairly deep though, so I don't know if I'll be able to fully heal it..."

"That's okay, Isabelle, don't waste your energy," Andie said.

Isabelle tutted and rolled her eyes as she removed the bandage.

"Adrianna Galestone, will you stop refusing my help? You saved my life, it's the least I can do. Now shut up and let me work."

She poured some water onto the wound, making Andie wince.

"You sound like Jessica," Andie chuckled.

They all laughed at that.

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?" Isabelle asked.

"Of course it is," Jessica said. "I am awesome."

Andie laughed, but stopped quickly because it jarred her shoulder, which, she had to admit, hurt a lot. She didn't know how she was going to explain this to her parents... she doubted they would believe her if she said she had been mugged, not to mention that they would want to involve the police, which would bring all kinds of problems they didn't need...

"Okay, this might sting a little," Isabelle warned.

"It's all right," Andie assured.

Isabelle closed her eyes. Her hands glowed on Andie's shoulder, and though it did indeed sting, she could feel her wound starting to heal. After a few minutes, Isabelle sat back, examining the result.

"That's about the best I can do," Isabelle said. "Is that better?"

"Yeah, thanks, Isabelle."

Bane sighed with relief, touched Andie's cheek and kissed her. Then, they all smiled at each other, relieved that their troubles were over, at least for a little while. It had taken a little time to convince the others that Bane was not their enemy, but Andie was glad to see that their friendship had slowly begun to rebuild itself.

The drive home was not fun. Her entire body ached. She wondered if using their powers was like extensive workouts. It certainly felt like it.

"Adena?" Andie asked.

"Andie, are you all right? You were injured! We all wanted to help, really, but..."

"I know," Andie said. "Don't worry. The chances are that given how furious he was, seeing you and the others would only have made things even worse."

Adena pondered that.

"Yes, I suppose you're right. I'm just glad you're all unharmed."

"He is gone, right? We did send him to the Demon Realm?"

"I can't sense him in the vicinity, so I'm afraid I can't be positive, but I believe so. The portal felt exactly the same as it did the last time."