Part 7

"How are rehearsals coming? Is Vicki letting you breathe?" Jessica asked.

"Yeah." Andie said, biting into her sandwich. "She's trying to drop hints about how so much more talented she is than me, but no one really listens to her anymore. And I have to admit our voices work well together."

They were sitting at the cafeteria after a morning of tests. The mood was a little subdued because of the cold and the fact that they were no longer on vacation.

"Well, be careful that she doesn't put something in your thermos when you're not looking, or something," Jessica said.

"I'll be fine, Jess. Vicki's not stupid enough to do that kind of thing. It would be too easy to guess she was responsible, I mean it's no secret we don't like each other much. But thanks for the concern," Andie smiled.

"Okay, forget that, didn't you guys find that last test really hard?"

"It wouldn't have felt hard if you studied a little occasionally," Isabelle pointed out with a mischievous smile.

"I'm sorry, have you seen how busy we've been lately?"

"Andes and I have been even busier than you two, and we still study." Isabelle replied.

"Yeah, well I need my beauty sleep," Jessica said.

The girls grinned at each other.

"So, Andie, where's your betrothed?"

"He is not my betrothed," Andie chuckled. "We've been together only a few weeks. And his uncle needed a hand for this weekend at the store."

"Oh, right. The movie soundtrack gig," Emily said. "That'll be great, I can't wait for it."

"Yeah, it'll be fun," Andie smiled. "Speaking of, I have a few posters left to put up before the bell rings."

"Hold up, I'll help you," Isabelle said.

They both got to their feet.

"We'll catch you guys later," Isabelle said.

"Sure. Later, guys," Jessica said.

And they walked off.

"... A paint-ball game?" Andie asked dubiously.

"Yeah! It'll be awesome!" Jessica said.

They had met up outside during break that afternoon.

"... We've never played paint-ball!" Emily pointed out.

"So? You only live once, right?"

"I like the idea," Bane smiled.

Andie glanced from Bane to Jessica, not sure how she felt about them agreeing over a game revolving around shooting one another with paint.

"I guess it does sound kind of fun," Isabelle said thoughtfully.

"Sure, it does! How about after school tomorrow?"

The others looked at each other.

"I don't know, Jess, I still have to do my set-list for this weekend..." Andie said.

"And I have a huge chemistry test next week..." Isabelle said.

"Oh, come on! Please? How often so we get the opportunity? If we don't now, we probably never will!"

"And besides, my uncle will be happy with anything you offer," Bane said. "Let's do it!"

The girls looked at each other. Andie was relieved to see she wasn't the only one unsure that Bane and Jessica agreeing was a good thing. Eventually, Emily shrugged and Isabelle raised her hands in a "don't look at me" sort of way. Andie sighed. It couldn't hurt, could it? And it would be nice to have some fun.