Part 27

Andie quickly changed and left the locker room. As she came into the hall, she wasn't surprised to see Bane leaning against the wall, waiting for her. She paused and looked at him, hesitating on what to do. People were walking out of the gym behind her, glancing uncertainly at them. Andie figured he'd never fought like that before. He seemed upset. He probably was. He never liked fighting if he had another way. Sensing her gaze, he glanced up and saw her. Immediately, he stepped towards her.

"Andie, I'm so sorry about earlier, I didn't see you..."

Andie crossed her arms and looked at him.

"That's not the problem, Bane. We agreed no fists would be involved! And don't you dare say you thought it only applied to the party."

"I wasn't going to." Bane said.

"What did you two say to each other to get into that rage?" Andie demanded.

Bane bit his lip and looked away.

"I can't. I know you care about him, I won't get in the way of that."

Andie's anger faded into confusion.

"... What?"

If Bane was trying to avoid putting a strain in her and Eric's friendship, then it had to mean he had said something serious...

"Bane, tell me. It's better that I know." she said.

He sighed and told her:

"He said... he started asking what you saw in me... to which I just said I didn't know, and even if I did, it wasn't his business."

Andie wasn't sure what to think. Bane wouldn't lie to her. Not about this sort of thing. But Eric wasn't like that... but Andie then realized she couldn't really say that. Eric wasn't the ten year old boy she had played with as a child. Just like she was no longer the ten year old girl he'd befriended then. She just hadn't expected for him to be quite so different... she wondered if there wasn't something else, but didn't want to insist.

"I'm sorry, Andie..." Bane said, taking her hands.

"Why did he lunge for you, then?" she asked. "It seems like a very excessive reaction."

Andie was sure she saw Bane hesitate a second before answering.

"I guess he didn't like me not answering him the way he wanted," he shrugged.

Andie considered pressing for more information, but thought better of it. She didn't want this to cause an argument between them. And admittedly, Bane had only shielded himself, never actually fighting back. She sighed and stepped closer to him.

"I'll talk to him." she said. "And I suppose you didn't really fight him the way he did... But I never want to see that again. Okay?"

"Okay." Bane said.

She reached up and kissed him, wishing it could somehow wipe all the mess out.

That afternoon, Andie had rehearsal. It was going fairly well, despite Vicki and Chad, the male lead. He was a pretty good performer, Andie thought, but his attitude made him extremely hard to work with. He always had "awesome idea that would make it even better" which in reality, wasn't all that brilliant.

"For the tenth time, Chad, no golden fountains during the fighting duet!" Ellie, one of the three girls in charge of the play, said after he'd suggested it again. "It's inside the castle, it would be out of place! From the top, please..."

So for the next half hour, they practiced different pieces of the play. Eventually, Andie, who was finished for a moment, was sitting in the audience. After a moment, someone touched her shoulder. She looked up, startled, but relaxed when she saw who it was.

"Hey," Eric said, grinning.

"Hey, Eric," Andie said.

"Is it okay that I'm here?"

"Yeah, it's fine, it's just a school play." Andie said.

Eric glanced around.

"Where's your boyfriend?" he asked.

Andie's eyes narrowed slightly.

"His name is Bane, Eric. And I don't know, he's probably going home. Why?"

"I'm sure he told you I was rude and dangerous or something after yesterday."

"Actually, he didn't," Andie said coolly. "He didn't want to go into great detail to preserve my friendship with you."

Eric snorted.

"What did he say? Because I'm sure you didn't let go with just that."

"No," she admitted. "He said you wondered what I saw in him. And Eric, that is not okay at all. Don't you ever do that again. And I want you to apologize to Bane, the first chance you get."

"What? It was just a question!"

"A hurtful and petty question!" Andie insisted. "And I told you I wouldn't let you act that way towards Bane."

Eric rolled his eyes.

"Okay, okay... I'll apologize... jeez..."

Andie felt like slapping him.

"Jeez? You're joking, right?"

"Why? What did I do that was bad?" Eric asked.

"You asked Bane a question one shouldn't ask!" Andie hissed. "You were completely out of line! You... you punched him!"

"So did he!" Eric defended himself.

"No, he did not!" Andie snapped sharply. "Did you not notice he was holding his arms to protect himself, but never used them against you? He was not fighting back. He knew it would hurt me. And you should have known too. Why would you do that?"

"Maybe I didn't have a choice..." Eric said, looking away.

Andie turned in her seat slightly to look at him properly.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

She thought she had an idea but was holding on to the belief that it was only really the truth if he said so out loud. Eric didn't answer at first, suddenly absorbed in Chad's performance. Andie waited. When the song finished, he turned to look at Andie, his eyes boring into hers.

"... It means that when you want something, you have to fight for it."

Andie was about to ask what it was, when it hit her. Before she could form the thought in her mind, however, an outburst of anger made them look up sharply.

******

Between Eric and Bane, Andie's heart wavers. What should she do?

Will she make the right decision before the point of no return? Let's find out!

Thank you so much for the support! You're awesome. Every vote and comment is appreciated, so don't be shy, say what you have to say below :-)!