Part 21

Andie had never felt this awful in her life. Even after the first few training sessions, her aches had been nothing like this. Even breathing hurt like her chest was in a vice. But she couldn't stay unconscious forever... and something felt different. She wasn't cold anymore... she was comfortable. Slowly, she opened her eyes. Through her heavy eyelids, she saw a face. As her vision cleared, she recognized Bane.

"...Bane...?" she whispered, her voice raspy.

Bane, who'd been looking out the window, turned to her, relief washing over him.

"Andie..." he said, reaching for her hand.

But when his skin brushed hers, it sent a sharp jolt through her like an electric shock through her, and Andie recoiled with a gasp. They looked at each other, Andie suddenly realizing what she'd done.

"I'm sorry... I..." she gasped.

"It's okay..." Bane said, gently reaching for her hand again.

Andie seemed to struggle to speak for a moment, then said in a breath:

"I love you..."

Bane paused, blinking.

"What?"

"... I love you... I never said it enough... but I do... and all I could think about in that place was how I hated myself for not telling you enough how much I love you..."

"Hey, hey, it's all right.." Bane said, touching her face.

He looked into her eyes.

"And for the record," he said with a smile, "I love you too."

He leaned forwards slowly, and with infinite gentleness, pressed his lips to hers. When he pulled back, she gave him a weak smile. Then, her eyes widened slightly.

"What did my parents say? They must have freaked out..."

"No, they're fine. I called them saying you were staying at my place but had lost your phone and were asleep because we'd been hiking all day."

Andie sighed in relief. She glanced around her, and realized she didn't know where she was. Or... no, she did recognize it, but hadn't expected to wake up there.

"... Am I in your house?"

"In my room, yes," he nodded. "we thought it was better."

Andie nodded.

"I'm sorry I put in that situation..." she said quietly. "I... I didn't see them coming..."

"What happened?" Bane asked. "One minute you were outside, and when I came back the next, you were gone..."

Andie wracked her brains.

"I... I don't remember much... just a sharp pain in my neck, and... then I think I must have lost consciousness..."

Bane's jaw tensed as his hand held hers, fury in his eyes. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, before opening them again, looking calmer.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that..."

Andie was too sore and groggy to really be sure, but she was getting the feeling that there was something Bane wasn't telling her.

It took several more hours for Andie to be able to move properly, and even then, every movement is painful. She made her way down the wooden staircase slowly. Bane and Robert were sitting in the living room, cups of coffee on the small glass coffee table between them. They were seated in the leather couch Andie knew from her previous visits. What was slightly more unexpected, though, was the presence of Isabelle, Emily and Jessica, all looking anxious. When they heard her, they looked up and their faces changed dramatically. Isabelle leaped to her feet and threw her arms around her before anyone could stop her.

"Andie!" she exclaimed. "I'm so glad you're okay..."

"Uh... I'm okay..." Andie gasped, wincing because Isabelle's arms were tight and hurting her already tender back. "Isabelle, I love you, but..."

Isabelle instantly caught on and jumped away as though she'd been burned. Or was afraid of burning Andie.

"Oh, my gosh, I'm sorry!" she cried. "Are you okay? Did I hurt you?"

"I'll be all right," Andie said, smiling weakly.

"Here, come sit down." Isabelle said, taking her arm as it were made of glass and let her to the couch, where Andie sat down between her and Bane.

"How are you feeling?" Emily asked.

Robert had already disappeared into the kitchen to get her some tea. He came back moments later and set the mug down in front of her.

"Thank you, Robert," she said.

"Careful, it's hot," he warned.

Andie nodded, and took the mug into her hands, covering her fingers with her sleeves. The warmth felt nice on her hands, which she only now realized felt cold. Remnants of her shock, maybe.

"How are you feeling?" Jessica asked.

Andie almost said "I'm fine", but stopped herself. She knew full well that would never be enough for them.

"I'll be okay," she finally said. "My body'll need a little time to catch up, but I'll work it out. And thank you guys for coming after me... I can't tell you how thankful I am."

"What happened?" Jessica asked.

"Jess!" Isabelle chided.

"What? She might have heard something important!"

Isabelle rolled her eyes.

"I didn't really hear anything much," Andie said, frowning slightly as she tried to remember. "I was in a cell by myself, most of the time."

"So that was all for nothing?" Emily asked. "I mean... he barely tried to stop us from leaving... it was like he wanted us to get away..."

"I don't think so," Andie argued, shaking her head. "I think it's more that he underestimated us. And I don't think we should be happy about it."

"Why not?" Jessica asked.

"Because the chance of him making that mistake again is next to none," Robert said. "And from what I can tell with your reports, I wouldn't say Zorak is the real threat."

"You think Zarias is the real danger?"

"He's younger, more impulsive, and that makes him unpredictable, ergo dangerous." Balon said. "Robert has a point. Zorak's been around far longer, he likes his habits, he'll tend to stick to them. The same can't be said of Zarias."

They all looked at each other, wondering if this was good in as much as it divided their enemy, if it did, or a bad thing in as much as it meant they now had two opponents instead of one.

**************

As if one wasn't bad enough, right?!

Let's hope Andie recovers from her ordeal, because they'll need all the help they can get!

Are they right about Zarias? Let's find out in the next chapter!