Part 5

"Are you sure it's okay for us to be there?" Bane asked.

They had met up at the Soda Fountain, the local ice cream parlor that had more or less become their rallying point. Jessica liked to call it their headquarters, but Isabelle always objected headquarters were supposed to be secret. Sitting around steaming cups of chocolate and marshmallows with muffins, they were discussing their plans for New Year. The place looked even better than ever before. Colorful tinsel and baubles, cheerful Christmas music in the background, with candy canes and sweets in jars on the tables, and brightly colored lights around the windows and counter. One thing was for certain, Andie thought with a smile, Siobhan, the cheerful owner of the Soda Fountain, loved Christmas.

"Of course it is," Andie said. "After everything we went through these past months, we're a team. And even if we weren't, we're friends, right?"

For the past three years, Jessica, Andie and Emily had spent New Years' Eve together at one of their houses. And now that Isabelle and Bane were in the picture, neither of the three girls had even considered not including them this year.

"Exactly." Jessica agreed. "C'mon, it'll be fun!"

"Okay, then." Bane smiled. "So what is it you've got planned?"

Jessica shrugged, a gleam of excitement her wide eyes.

"Oh, the usual, manicure, pedicure, make-up, soap opera marathon..."

Andie was fighting to keep from laughing. Bane seemed to be trying to keep his face straight as Jessica spoke, but his eyes were saying something like "uh oh, what did I get myself into...?". Finally pitying him, Jessica laughed and said:

"I'm kidding, relax! It'll probably be games and movies with popcorn and the like."

Bane shook his head in amusement. Andie squeezed his hand.

"Sounds fun," he smiled.

"Great." Jessica beamed. "The more the merrier."

The snow didn't let up for the next few days, and both Hank and Lauren wouldn't let a day go by without telling their daughter to be careful, whether she was taking Hannah to school or going to see Bane on her own. Andie appreciated the concern, but was growing slightly weary of her parents treating her like a child when she was eighteen years old. But she supposed it was the lawyer side of them that made them like that. Since they needed to control everything when working their defenses, a part of them wanted to do the same with her and Hannah, most likely. It wasn't always pleasant, but she knew going against it would only make things more unpleasant for everyone. So she just concentrated on the fact that her parents just wanted them safe. Hannah had a little more trouble understanding why her parents were so stringent, but was also wise enough to not try and go against it.

"Are you sure it's okay for us to have the party at your house, this year?" Emily asked. "You know what happened the last time..."

"That was nothing..." Jessica shrugged.

"You almost set fire to the kitchen trying to make some popcorn in the oven!" Andie laughed. "The smell wouldn't leave the house for a week!"

"It said to put in the oven!" The redhead defended herself.

"The microwave oven, Jess," Emily grinned. "Your impatience is going to be the death of you, I swear!"

"It was certainly the death of that popcorn!" Andie laughed.

"Okay, okay, enough!" Jessica chided playfully, tossing a pillow at them. "My parents prefer it that way. I mean, this snow's making them paranoid. I wanted to go to the mall, yesterday, and my parents almost wouldn't let me out the door! I mean, come on, I've driven in the snow before!"

They were sitting in Isabelle's bedroom, the sounds of her sisters playing with their Christmas presents echoing through the walls.

"That doesn't mean it's not dangerous," Isabelle put in, sipping her cocoa. "My dad and I were this close to hitting a tree because the car skidded on ice, yesterday. And he's the most careful driver there is!"

"I'd be more concerned if they didn't worry," Andie smiled. 'It's just a clumsy way of showing they care about us."

"Yeah, I know." Jessica smiled.

Andie glanced outside at the swirling snow outside. She was definitely glad to be inside in the warm house rather than out.

Soon enough, New Year's Eve arrived. It was still snowing, and people were as cheerful as they had been for Christmas. Andie drove carefully through the snow towards Jessica's house where the festivities were to be held.

"Hey, guys, finally! You're late! I said two o'clock!"

"It's only three past two, Jess!" Andie laughed.

"Yes, three minutes where we could have been having fun, and instead we were waiting for you."

Andie and Bane glanced at each other uncertainly. Jessica suddenly burst out laughing at their expressions.

"You should see your faces!" she laughed.

Andie, mentally kicking herself for not seeing it sooner, raised her eyes to the sky, took Bane's hand and led him out of the cold while Jessica stepped aside to let them through. The house was spectacular. Andie wasn't surprised but peered quietly at Bane, whose face reminded her of a child looking at toy store. His eyes were wide with wonder, his lips parted in surprise. The tree was a shining rainbow, the chimney flames almost called you to sit beside them and curl up on the sofa with a blanket and a good book or movie. Emily and Isabelle were already bustling about cheerfully in the living room, bringing plates and bowls of food from the kitchen. Andie had already been there, but she always marveled at how cosy the Leighton household was, despite being smaller than her own house.

"Hey, girls," Andie smiled, setting down the shopping bag she'd brought with her.

It was customary for this kind of event that everyone participate in supplying the food and drink. Even if there always ended up being some left over for another time.

"Hey, Andie, hey Bane," Isabelle smiled. "Why am I not surprised you too came together?"

Andie stuck her tongue at her, her fingers laced with Bane's.

"Well, Jess, your wish is our command," Bane said to Jessica. "Where'd you want us?"

"I'm doing some pastry for tonight, d'you mind going and keeping an eye on them? They're in the oven."

"Not at all," Bane said.

Andie looked to Isabelle and Emily.

"D'you guys need my help?"

"No, thanks, we've got it covered." Emily said.

Isabelle winked at Andie, who smiled and shook her head, before leading Bane by the hand to the kitchen.

***************************

Ah, celebrating the New Year! It's so much fun, isn't it?

How do you do it? With family? friends? Both? Let us know in the comments!

Things are cheerful now, but how long will that last? Let's find out in the next chapter!

Again, if you enjoy the story, please let me know in a comment, or tell me if something isn't clear or you think needs to change, and consider hitting the star!