Part 28

Andie glanced swiftly around for any sign of danger... but there were none. It soon became clear to her that there was none. Chad was complaining about his lines once again.

"I'm a prince, I can't say "Your beauty is more radiant than the brightest sun!"

"Why not?" Nora, who also was in charge of the play, asked wearily.

"Because it's cheesy and lame!"

"It's poetic!" Nora replied.

"What if I said something like "I have never seen fairer than you"? It's still lame, but... a little less so."

"No! For the last time, Chad, stick to the play or get out!" Ellie snapped angrily.

"Fine." Chad retorted grumpily. "Then I'm out. You can find another prince to say your dumb lines."

He picked up his bag and marched out. Andie glanced at Nora, Ellie and Judy were talking in low voices, but with many hand gestures. Just then, Judy's eyes fell on Eric who was still sitting next to Andie.

"You!" she called, pointing her red nail at him. "Ever been in a play?"

He blinked in confusion. Andie, glancing from him to Judy, felt her heart skip a beat. She didn't think she liked where this was going at all.

"Uh... I was in my school production of As you like it, a couple of years ago..." he said slowly. "Why?"

"Can you carry a tune?" she asked, ignoring his question.

"Uh... I guess I get by..."

"Up on the stage, both of you," Judy said, pointing behind her.

Andie, feeling less and less confident that this was a good idea, glanced at Eric surreptitiously. He, of course, didn't seem bothered in the least. A little surprised, maybe, she thought as they got to their feet, but that was all. She didn't speak to him or look at him overtly as they walked down the steps, their feet muffled by the carpet. Soon they were on the large stage. Andie remembered how scared she used to feel when in the spotlight. Now, while she didn't relish it, she could see why people enjoyed it. She glanced at Judy, Nora and Ellie.

"Okay... So, do you guys know each other?"

"Yes, we used to live near one another when we were younger," Andie explained.

"Can you read sheet music?" Ellie asked Eric.

"Yeah, I took guitar lessons as a kid," he said. "I might be a little rusty, but I think I can manage."

Judy flicked through her papers and pulled out a page which she handed to Eric.

"We'll kill two birds with one stone. See what you can do, and how you work together."

Andie then had a horrible feeling she knew which song they had in mind. Glancing around Eric's arm as he was too tall for her to look over her shoulder, she gulped.

"Uh... I don't know if that's a good-"

She was interrupted by the door opening. And to her horror, Bane stepped in.

Andie had already been getting a bad feeling. With Bane there to witness it, she could tell it would be ten times worse, if only that. He had probably come to see if she was still there... And his face when he looked up and saw Andie next to Eric on the stage... his eyes widened slightly with surprise and confusion, and then glinted with a flash of hurt that he was trying to conceal. But she knew those eyes too well. She'd stared into them so many times...