Part 46

"Zarias! Zarias, where are you?"

Zorak waited impatiently in his throne room, pacing as he listened for his son.

"Zarias! Must I send a search party after you?"

He began pacing irritably around the room, as he did so often. Why did he always take so long to arrive? It was almost as if he did it on purpose in order to infuriate him. Fortunately, the door creaked open seconds later.

"Father, what is it?" Zarias asked.

Zorak's black eyes turned to his son. But for the first time in Zarias's memory, the darkness in them was almost bright. It was as if he was... happy. In all his existence, he had never, ever seen Zorak happy. Amused, certainly, satisfied, occasionally, but actually happy... it was unheard of. He wasn't sure if that was a good thing or the worst could ever occur in the Demon Realm.

"Good news?" he asked his father.

"Excellent," Zorak replied, turning to look out the window.

He clasped his hands behind his back and stared out at the dark sky before them.

"I am happy to hear it." Zarias answered, though he didn't seem to quite follow. "What news might that be?"

Zorak still didn't look at him as he spoke.

"You remember, I trust, the last time we attempted to get the five incarnations in one place so we could capture them and acquire their powers?"

"Yes, father." Zarias said. "It was a very ingenious plan."

"Yes, it rather was, wasn't it?" Zorak replied. "And you will also remember how it dismally failed?"

"... Yes, father... but if you'll just..."

"But," Zorak interrupted. "I believe there is a way we can fix this."

Zarias watched the Demon Lord carefully. He seemed calm enough, just uncommonly happy. Had he come up with some brilliant, foolproof plan to obtain what he had been coveting for so long?

"Really? What way is that?" Zarias asked.

Zorak turned away, starting his pacing again.

"Well, I have been thinking about how best to approach this situation." he said. "On the one hand, the humans will expect us to try again eventually. What they won't expect is a similar tactic."

"But father, that plan failed..."

"That plan worked perfectly until you sent it crumbling to the ground!" Zorak snapped, rounding on Zarias. "It can work again. We will just have to make use of a slightly different tactic... that is all. And I know just what to do."

"You want to what?!" Andie asked.

They were sitting at the Soda Fountain that Saturday afternoon.

"Oh, come on, it'll be fun!" Jessica said enthusiastically.

"Karaoke?" Emily asked dubiously.

"Why not? It'll be a change from training, for once."

Andie had already thought the paintball plan was crazy. This was probably equally so

"Well, I think it is a good idea," Isabelle said. "I think we could all use the break."

Andie and Bane looked at each other. Things were... all right, between them, Andie guessed. When they were alone, things weren't so bad, though they both tried not to mention Eric. But they both thought about him once in a while, which caused discomfort between the two of them. Andie hadn't spoken to Eric since their last argument. The Valentine's dance was approaching, and it was the first time she'd be going with Bane. She hoped Eric wouldn't do anything stupid...