superpowers

My gaze was fixated on the clock with vigorous intensity, hoping that my stare alone could move the time along faster.

"Moon! You better be wiping down those tables. One single spot and you're working overtime!" My boss called.

I gritted my teeth, biting back a spiteful response, and managing a polite, "Yes ma'am."

Two more minutes and I could run out. Two more minutes and Misuk would be here on the dot. Just two more, agonizingly long minutes.

For the first time in my fabled career, I was going to be on the set of a blockbuster movie, likely one that would break box offices. An action thriller about a pair of secret agents bringing down a resurrected killer cult. Three years into my career had brought me to this moment. Months of being an extra. Then more months of having nameless bit-roles with one or two lines. Then finally, I managed to land a supporting role in a web-series which underperformed due to the niche cast. To now, finally having a bit-role with significance to the plot by a major director. A bartender that brings the protagonist out of his misery from losing his partner and convinced him to bring down the bad guys with a certain type of motivation. It was no lead role, not even a supporting. But it was a start.

The clock ceremoniously flipped the hour which meant I was out the door, paying no mind to the shouts of my boss. As expected, Misuk was already out front with the getaway car, wasting no time in leaving before the boss had a chance to catch up.

She laughed, "You are so getting fired one day."

"It can't come soon enough," I sighed. "How was work?"

"Good. The kiddos are as precious as ever. I love my job to death. But we aren't here to talk about me. You're about to do a major scene with a major actor. I mean your name is going to be known," she squealed.

"Oh I wouldn't say that-" I played it off. But in reality, it was pretty major. The aforementioned protagonist of this film was played by none other than Jung Hoseok. The man who had single-handedly stopped me from giving up on my dreams and had sworn he was in my corner. I was probably a distant memory on his mind now that he had risen to the pinnacle of fame. But regardless, it was immensely motivating. I'd hope that I could at least show him my improvement.

"Hansol really hooked you up with this one," she commented.

I guess credit was deserved where it was due. My older brother had no hand in the entertainment industry. He enjoyed playing with science experiments and numbers. But one of his close friends was a popular movie director. Ever since I started out, he always offered to give my information to the director but I always wanted to achieve my goals through my own perseverance and ambition. In the case of this film, there was originally an actress in my place. But there was a sudden scheduling conflict which caused her to drop the part and nullify her contract for it. My brother found out and gave him my information so I could have an audition. In another condition, I would've refused, but the director was desperate yet managed to hold a legitimate audition for it and decide for himself whether or not he wanted me.

One opportunity to launch it all. I couldn't botch it.

"Let's just hope Hansol doesn't find out what kind of scene it is," I chuckled, masking the brunt of my nerves under a joke.

The shooting site was a rather lively looking bar space with lots of flashing lights and neon color everywhere. And it was all rented out for the scene.

"Good luck girl! I'll be here when you're done!" Misuk cheered supportively.

I nodded, heading out of the car and into the lavish looking bar towards the direction of the staff.