prologue

"CUT! JUST CUT IT!"

The actors on set all flinched at the tone of the director's voice.

"Extra number 13, can you please come here," he asked icily.

I grimaced, realizing that the source of the director's anger was directed at me. I hesitantly rose from my chair, trudging toward him. The other extras and actors around me let out quiet snickers at my sheer embarrassment.

The walk of shame to the director's chair felt like a ten-hour trek. This was my first gig, how could I have botched it so bad.

He rubbed his temples agitatedly, "I don't have all day kid. Nor do the professionals around here."

"Sorry sir," I bowed apologetically.

"If I remember correctly, your resume said that you graduated top of your class in film and drama at Konkuk. That's quite an impressive credential. However, whatever I'm seeing out there right now is no Konkuk training. You're an extra eating dinner while our leads are having a romantic moment before a major action scene. That's all you're doing. So why, pray tell, are you overdramatizing it so much. You're acting like some teenager at their first fancy dinner party. It's too much. Just because you're an extra doesn't mean you need to be extra. You're an ordinary, insignificant person," he berated.

I hung my head, voice coming out thinly, "I'm really sorry. I-I'll do better."

"I'm sure you will. But not on my movie. You're fired! Someone go find me someone off the street, I'm sure they'll know how to act more than this woman," he huffed.

"Sir I-"

"I don't want to hear your groveling. Grab your stuff and leave. We'll take fifteen, but I want a new actor once this break is done!" He snapped.

I balled my hands into fists, holding my head up high, "I see. Thank you for your time."

I quickly turned around, ignoring the gazes boring into my head. I breezed by everyone, sprinting off set and grabbing my bag before anyone could catch the stray tear fall from my eye.

I ran out of the filming structure, frustratedly looking around me for where to go. Misuk. She should be off work now, so if I called her she could probably come get me, and I could drown myself in ice cream.

Something wet began to run down my cheeks. Feeling utterly dejected and hopeless, I hugged myself tightly and gingerly sat on the edge of the curb.

He didn't even give me a chance to fix my mistake. I was just tossed aside and replaced like a doll. I knew it would be hard to get my start but this was something else. It took me time to find this role as it was and then I didn't even get the chance to prove myself.

Could I really do this? Maybe my parents were right that I'd be chasing an unachievable dream forever.

I was lost in thought and self-pity, letting the bitter tears roll down my cheek silently.

"Uh oh, I know that position. The 'I'm thinking of giving up because this is too hard for me and I'm not going to make it' position," a gentle voice said.

I let out a halfhearted scoff, "If you're here to gloat I'm not in the mood to listen."

"Chaerin," the voice said firmly.

I shook my head bitterly while getting up to turn around, "Who are you, and what do you—want."

I expected another extra or maybe an assistant director or manager. Instead, I was met with the face of Jung Hoseok—the second lead in this movie. A rising star with plenty of famous friends of high stature.

He gave a warm chuckle, "You look like you've seen a ghost."

In a moment of shock, I had completely forgotten how disheveled and disheartened I looked. But the moment I realized it, I totally freaked out and turned around quickly.

Here I am, meeting with one of the biggest rising actors, and I look like I just gotten broken up with and then hit by a bus.

He tapped me on the shoulder again, urging me to face him.

"I was in your place once too you know. Getting your start in this industry is one of the most difficult things to achieve. There are so many rules and expectations of you. It doesn't help if you start out with a director as impulsive and irrational as him," he said softly.

Our eyes slowly travelled to one another until they met in the middle. They seemed to genuine and kind. It almost distracted me from the fact that a literal celebrity was giving me the time of day.

"I saw you in the background. I actually thought you were acting quite naturally. So I don't know why he was being super particular, but I'm sorry that it cost you the role," he said apologetically.

"Y-you have nothing to a-apologize for," I stammered.

"Call it an olive branch," he smiled, brightening radiantly. He held out a hand to me, "I'm Jung Hoseok."

I'm about to shake Jung Hoseok's hand.

"M-Moon Chaerin," I introduced.

He chuckled, "I already know who you are."

"I-I know who y-you are," I quickly said.

He let out a hearty laugh, "Oh dear, you're quite nervous. You have no reason to be. I'm a normal guy who happens to be an actor."

I scoffed, "Correction, famous actor." I let out a relaxed giggle feeling a bit more calm and a lot less dejected.

He grinned widely, "Would you look at that? She's got a smile that could light up the whole world."

My breath hitched in my throat and I felt a burning heat rise to my cheeks. How's he just going to drop that out of nowhere and expect me to not freak out? He is still a superstar after all.

He chuckled again, "Wow you are really something refreshing. Very cute and charming, definitely worthy of landing you some sufficient roles in the future. Just don't give up on your dream. No path is the same as another. We get lost, go the wrong way, fall, it's all a part of nature. Eventually you'll find your way. Just keep at it. You've got talent, I can tell. And one day, others will see it too. It's hard to get your start in the industry, but once you do, you'll be on your way. Don't lose heart. This industry could use energy and effort that's as pure and driven as yours."

I teared up again feeling highly touched by his words. Someone of his level believed in me. He was so bright and kind. He loved to laugh which was utterly precious.

"I have to get back but I hope to see you on the screen one day. Rest assured I'll be at your premier when you land a lead role. Until then, you can take comfort in the fact that Jung Hoseok is in your corner. See you around Moon Chaerin."

He gave one last cheery wave before heading back inside the filming structure.

I clutched my hands close to my heart, watching him wordlessly as he walked back.

I nodded resolutely, "I'll stick it out. I won't disappoint you—Jung Hoseok."