glass

Misuk laid her head in my lap, eyes ogling all over Kim Yeseul acting as the badass detective who solves a serial kidnapping case all on her own. I stroked her hair, reaching over her shoulder to grab the popcorn on her lap.

"She's just so hot, I mean damn. She's the type to go 'who hurt you' in a serious voice to her enemy and then go on a merciless rampage to correct wrongs done to her secret beloved," Misuk fawned.

I could only chuckle, humoring her deep-rooted love (probably obsession) for Kim Yeseul.

My gaze refocused on the powerhouse actress on screen. She was truly an icon. A visionary in the industry that commanded respect every which way she went. I idolized her for all that she did. Her natural talents were always there but to improve so flawlessly each time that it fit the role she was playing was truly a miraculous feat.

I could only hope to be half the actress she was at some point in time.

As we were sitting and watching, my phone began to buzz on the countertop, catching both our attentions.

"Is your stupid boss calling again? God I can't wait till you leave that place! What a total loser," Misuk huffed.

"That'll be the day, Mi," I sighed, reaching over her and momentarily smushing her as I grabbed my phone off the coffee-table.

But instead of seeing my boss' contact name, I was met with a completely different, unknown number.

Nonchalantly, I answered, "Hello?"

"Hello. Is this the phone of Moon Chaerin?"

I know that voice...that's Park Jimin.

I practically shot upward at lightning speed, tossing Misuk right off the couch as I cleared my throat and straightened up, a bundle of nerves and excitement beginning to coil in the pit of my stomach.

I cleared my throat, "Ahem, yes, hello, this is she."

"Okay...well, Miss Moon, this is Park Jimin, Assistant Director to Jeon Jungkook and I'd just like to apologize on the wait for hearing the result of your audition. We tend to give out all the nos before we proceed with the yes."

What?!

My hairs were practically standing on edge as I went rigid at his words. Misuk was pawing at me like a dog, curious as to what was going on.

"On that note, I am happy to tell you that you have got the part of Han Iseul in The Boyfriend Application drama series. Someone from our team will be emailing you your contract shortly and will request a video call to go over it in detail and negotiate your needs. Additionally, Min Yoongi will be reaching out to you shortly. While we appreciate the dedication it took to be an unsigned actress, it'll be easier for us and for you to be a part of an agency. Lucky for you, Min Yoongi was highly impressed by your performance at the audition and is willing to negotiate a permanent contract at YN Entertainment. Once everything is sorted out, we will be sending out the scripts for the episodes and the schedules. I remember seeing that you had a job as a waitress on the side. I suggest you quit or take temporary leave. Filming is a very long and demanding process. Regardless, congratulations, we look forward to working with you."

The call disconnected and so did my connection to the living world.

I was speechless, my hand quivering as I slowly processed all that had occurred at once.

"Hello! Earth to Moon Chaerin! What was the call about?" Misuk questioned impatiently.

I felt tears of relief brim to the surface.

"Chaerin? Who was it? What jerk do I have to beat up for you?" Misuk sat upright with a menacing gaze.

I chuckled softly, waving her off as I wiped a stray tear.

"Oh Misuk," I breathed out wistfully. "I did it. I—I really did. Oh! I did it! I got the role! I...I got the role."

Her eyes practically bulged out of her head as her expression lightened to a radiant gleam of pride.

"Chaerin...AHHHHH YOU DID IT!" She screamed. Pulling me off the couch so we could jump up and down and dance around the room.

The two of us were laughing and squealing as we chanted about my success. We were on cloud nine with no intention of coming down.

Years of tireless work finally paid off. The universe always had timing but as long as you dreamed under its vast cosmos, it would eventually hear your request.

"This calls for drinks! I'll run to the convenience store. You stay right here and relish in your success!" Misuk said, not even waiting for me to respond. I laughed as she sprinted out of the house, clicking her heels in excitement and chirping like the prettiest songbird.

I shook my head amusedly, flopping back onto the couch, the adrenaline high slowly wearing off though the shock was very much still there. My mind reeled from the very concept that I had just landed the lead role on a renowned drama with a star-studded cast. Me—Moon Chaerin, leading the charge of all those fleshed out actors.

Han Iseul—she was mine. And that felt so good to say. That a character was mine to embrace. To hold. To love. To nurture. And to bring to light as imagination from a page swirls in brilliant light to become a vibrant reality.

I kicked my feet like a child on a swing, breathless from the weight of my excitement. The sun-kissed stars in the sky seemed to twinkle in response, matching my enthusiasm.

Name in the lights. Mind in the sky. Little Chaerin would be absolutely gobsmacked.

Just as my weightless body began to float back down to the surface, another call came in.

I quirked an eyebrow, viewing yet another unknowing caller ID. Oh god what if they called back to say it was an accident and they didn't mean to give me the role. That would be awful.

Suddenly freaking out, I contemplated answering or not. Couldn't I live in ignorance and bliss for a little while longer?

I sighed, no. I couldn't hide away. Fate was preordained and I had to abide by it. Whatever this call was my destiny.

"Moon Chaerin?"

My destiny was Jung Hoseok. WAIT WHAT.

"Oh jeez, is this not the right number?"

"H-Hoseok?" I squeaked.

His euphoric laughter filled my ears.

"Oh good. I thought perhaps they had given me the wrong number."

"W-what is going on? How did you...what are you...huh-" I stumbled.

"Haha, I guess I caught you off guard. My bad. I just couldn't wait any longer to call. I'm going to guess they told you the good news finally?"

"Y-yeah, they did," my hands trembled.

"Took them long enough. They decided it as soon as you left the audition room. The waiting game is really cruel. But regardless, you got it! I knew you could. You blew everyone away at that audition. The role is really simple but everyone tries too hard. There's a difference between someone acting and someone embodying. And you...embodied everything radiant in that moment."

My cheeks burned like a hot pan.

"You got here with your effort alone. Your hard work paid off, Chaerin. And I get to say that I watched you blossom."

"Hoseok...I don't know what to say," I breathed out.

"Haha, I can imagine as much. I'm sure you're still taken aback by the result. Not to mention you have a lot of logistical things to do before you even get to the good stuff. But tonight, you just focus on celebrating."

"Yes—thank you. For everything. Really," I said.

"I'll let you celebrate. See you soon...Han Iseul."