III. The first meeting

❧

I loved going to Weathervane, the aroma of the coffee, the warm and welcoming smile of the owner, Sophie, a sweet lady who happened to be a friend of Dad and the cozy vibe the Café exuded somehow made everything better. On days when dad and I were struggling, trying to build new memories with the twins and finding it difficult to live in a world without mom, we came to the Weathervane.

Dad and I had made a pact of no shoptalk while at the Weathervane. I updated him on how school was going and we discussed the latest happenings of the football season.

I remember that day, going in with a box of cupcakes in my hand. Sophie had agreed to let me sell my cupcakes at the Café just a few days ago. I rang a bell at the counter, since there was no one in sight.

That's when I saw him. This gorgeous looking boy with hair that was begging to be touched and messed. A boyish smile and eyes that said the person could do no wrong in the world.

"Hi, how can I help you?", he said.

"Hey, I am Rose. Sophie asked me to drop in cupcakes with someone named Tyler."

"That would be me."

I handed him the package, feeling elated at the prospect of people purchasing my cupcakes. It could be a huge step for me when I would open my own quaint bakery one day.

"Do you go to Nevermore or are you a normie?"

"Oh, a normie. I go to Crestview High."

Our conversation was interrupted when I saw Sophie approach us. "Rose, I see you have met Tyler, my best barista. Thanks for dropping the cupcakes dear." 

"Hey Sophie, dad said thanks for the Shepherd's pie. It was delicious." Sophie smiled in response.

I turned to Tyler, eager for one more look of him. 

"Bye Tyler!"

"Bye Rose, it was nice meeting you", he said with a soft smile.

It's shocking, how little we know about someone and how wrong first impressions can be.